Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad got me a new Turkish Mauser for my collection. Being 16 I like to learn about a new acquistion. He paid $150 for it and it had the guys at the gun shop drooling:eek:. I would appriciate it if you guys could give me any information as to the history of this rifle. From what I have been able to find it is a 1954 ATF Rebuild rifle in which the Turks used old leftover Gew 98 parts and new stocks (I think) to construct M38 pattern rifles. Here is what I know:

1954 ATF
8 mm Mauser
looks almost exactly like a K.Kale
The bore is great and the stock has been refinished.
Here are some pictures.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K31's rock! Here is mine, a 1952 all matching one at that! My grandmother and dad got me this after my grandpa had bought me a Yugo SKS.
:) K31's are by far one of if not the most accurate C&R rifles out there.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It can be verry addictive. I am 24 and i already have 5 Finnish Mosin Nagants and one 1909 Argentine Mauser. Just bought a bayonet for the mauser. I have accumulated 4 of them just in the past year. I have other Rifles but they are not Millsurps. Im currently looking for a K31, and a nice Enfield. I also want a grand but cant aford the 600 from CMP for the grade I want.
I know the feeling, if only we had all been born in the 1960's lol.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My interest in collecting stared when I was 15 when my grandpa gave me his dad's Arisaka Type-99. I already had a Marlin Model 60 so this got me to thinking. Before I knew it I was selling a 50cc motorbike to get a M44. The next one came from my grandpa as a Christmas present it was a Yugoslavian M59/66A2 SKS. Then in early 2007 I got to go to my first gunshow and picked up an M91/30 and a K31. Then next came a Chinese T-53, which I have restored the best I can due to its rough condition. Now last Monday I got a Turkish Mauser. I hope to get a Carcano and an Enfield before 2008 so I can enter the new year with 10 nice rifles in my collection.
Here are some more pictures. ;)

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Welcome to all you new, young collectors. I hang out on a number of boards, but you have discovered already THE go-to board for cool C&R guns. This is a big site and has a little of everything.

Several of the boards here, the Collectors Mosin and Enfield off the top of my head, are probably THE best boards for those arms anywhere...

Tuco was right when he recommended a Finn M39 as a good one for a new collector. They have good sights and tend to shoot very well and can still be bought pretty cheaply for what you get. The Finns tweaked the triggers, mags, and stocks of the Mosin design and installed heavier barrels to make them better shooters. Nice rifles. BUT, they have gone up in the past few years so get 'em while you can.

Some other bargains out there for guys getting started, in no particular order:

(These are also what I am into lately because even though I'm an older guy, cost is still a factor for us old married dudes!)

1. Swiss K31. Like the M39 Mosin these suckers SHOOT and have good sights and usually very nice, crisp triggers that make you look good on the range. A buddy of mine who is very much into competitive high power shooting has pretty much eschewed all other C&R rifles for K31s. The Swiss made a very nice bolt rifle. Get some of the primo Swiss GP 11 ammo while you can.

2. Lee Enfields. These are great guns with tons of history and character behind them and can still be had for good prices. Cheap surplus ammo is pretty much gone, but if you handload they can still be enjoyed and made to sing.

3. Mausers. The Turks have already been mentioned, but this is a huge field and the Mauser is just the Big Kahuna of military bolt guns. Endless variations and they can still be found for reasonable coin if you're careful. They tend to be well made, rugged and almost bullet proof. Kinda like the Mosins. Russian Capture K98s are a good way to get into a German Mauser with war history without breaking the bank. All original K98s are rapidly becoming thousand dollar and UP guns.

4. Mosins. Still cheap for common varieties, tons of variations and history. Built like a Mack truck and built to last. See comments above for Mausers on ruggedness.

The US stuff like M1s and 03s are nice, and a real weakness of mine. They also tend to run at least 500 bucks a copy and UP, way up, for good ones. A service grade M1 from CMP is usually a wise investment and much cheaper than buying one at a show. CMP is pretty good about making things right if you get a bad one or a broken part. If you're a young American guy, your Dad or Grandfather probably carried or used an M1 either in war or peacetime and that's a great connection to them and the Greatest Generation.

Plus, they're cool to fondle while watching Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

The German stuff can get pricey really quick. Ah, the allure of being bad and the "cool" guns and equipment of the bad guys always go for bucks. Original condition German is NOT cheap and can be tough for a young collector to break into. Plus they're faked like no tomorrow to make common examples all matching, prettier, or more "rare." Caveat emptor ; be careful on those.

The Japanese stuff is still under-appreciated and under-valued in my humble opinion and might be fertile ground for a young collector. The Japanese board here is primo and a good place to learn about them. Check it out.

Hope you enjoyed these random thoughts on collecting and remember to have fun with it. You don't have to spend a ton of money to enjoy this hobby. Get something you like, and some ammo for it, and get out and burn powder with it. That's a big part of the fun. CMP sponsored matches are a great way to get into some shooting, meet some great people and generally have a ball. Researching the guns and their history here and other places on the net is FREE, and that's a big part of the fun factor, too.

Cheers, Clyde
My grandpa carried one (A M-1 Garand) in ROTC during high school. I would love to have a CMP Garand but I don't have the funds. I am looking to make rifle #9 a M38 Carcano and # 10 a Enfield. I have accumulated 5 rifles the past year so maybe I can make 10 overall by the end of 2007.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I like to watch Enemy at The Gates with my M91/30, lol. My favorite movie is Black Hawk Down (what a coincidence that it is October 3), I think that I would like that movie even more if I had an AR-15 to hold while watching it. I bet I will be selling my guitar and some actionfigure collections to get me an AR-15.

But the tough question is,

M1 Garand :confused: or AR-15

I bet I will end up buying a couple of more C&R rifles before an AR-15 though.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wow, it's kind of freaky, these coincidences... I am in the process of trying to sell my guitar too. And the sportscard collection. And I want an Enfield. I am also trying to decide between an M1 or more cheaper milsurps (can get almost 10 mosins for 1 garand!). Young collecters must think alike :)
I know what you mean on the M1 Garand prices, its crazy that your own nations rifle is not as common and costs higher than that of European and Asian countries. Maybe when we are all older we will be able to tell new collectors about the days when a M44 could be found in very nice condition for under $100!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.