Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,529 Posts
If it makes you feel better, the ATF turk was only made one year. Can you guess which one? I started when I was 20 also. That was 6 years ago and I think I broke the 40 number not too long ago.
And you have one very nice one in waiting! (Can I buy it back :confused:) :D.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I know what you mean on the M1 Garand prices, its crazy that your own nations rifle is not as common and costs higher than that of European and Asian countries. Maybe when we are all older we will be able to tell new collectors about the days when a M44 could be found in very nice condition for under $100!:D
You need a better appreciation of world history before you should make comments like this. The US was an isolationist country until December 7 1941, had a small armed force and produced far less in arms than did Russia. We had far fewer losses than Russia, about a 14x factor less. The Russian lost 12 million in arms and many more citizens and frankly won the war for the "free world".

The US was but a pimple on the elephant's butt as far as contribution of blood and sacrifice. In fact, Uncle Joe said " Britain paid with time, the US paid with money and Russia paid with blood.", as to the contributions of these three countries. And he was right.

After the war, the Russians kept their WWII arms as they entered into the cold war. We went onto Korea a few years later, using the arms we kept from WWII for that conflict.

After Korea, we started selling our small arms to the citizens, as better models now were in the inventory; the M-14 and then the M-16. The Russians kept their obsolete small bolt action arms away from the citizens; (the SKS and AK-47 now prevailed as the MBR), but ready to take out of storage should the Imperialist Running Yellow Dogs invade their country or interests.

After the Iron Curtain rusted and was finally taken down (or crumpled due to economic pressures, particularly the amount of the GNP that the USSR placed into military spending), the Ukraine, which stored many of these old bolt rifles when it was part of the Evil Empire, was not judged to be "evil Russsia" and they flooded our market with cheap, old rifles in chase of the USD for international commerce.

That's a shorthand version of the real story.

I am sure other members will have their own take on history and I hope you will read, ask and study so you someday arrive at your perspective on why Russina arms are now so plentiful and inexpensive vis. US small arms from the same era.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.