Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad got me a new Turkish Mauser for my collection. Being 16 I like to learn about a new acquistion. He paid $150 for it and it had the guys at the gun shop drooling:eek:. I would appriciate it if you guys could give me any information as to the history of this rifle. From what I have been able to find it is a 1954 ATF Rebuild rifle in which the Turks used old leftover Gew 98 parts and new stocks (I think) to construct M38 pattern rifles. Here is what I know:

1954 ATF
8 mm Mauser
looks almost exactly like a K.Kale
The bore is great and the stock has been refinished.
Here are some pictures.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Well, for starters, know in your heart of hearts that if anyone dares slander your turk at a shooting range it's just because they're jealous and ignorant. Congratulations on your purchase, and try not to become an angsty teenager around your father in the next few years- you kinda owe him that for finding you such a nice turk.

As a general rule, Turks are good shooters with sometimes brand-new barrels and a fascinating mix of recycled parts.

I would point you to Turkmauser.com as a general read-up-on-'em, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

As you said, yes, they're a Gew98 reciever (the best mass-quantity mass-produced Mauser action ever, in at least my opinion) which has had a few threads removed from the front in order to leave a gap for the rear of the handguard to fit under, and then assembled into a M-38 style rifle.

Here's the crazy part. Turkey was part of NATO in Korea, and for sake of standardization, the Turkish troops were issued M-1 Garands in .30-06, so they'd have the same ammo and use "the best battle rifle ever designed"... Except a significant portion of the Turkish troops preferred the Mauser. They said it was more reliable and they liked it better. They also said Turkish bayonets worked better than the American ones, because of better blood grooves so they didn't get stuck. (http://www.exile.ru/2005-April-22/war_nerd.html)

The ATF takes a "standard" Turk bayo, whatever that is, and if you look at the various bits it's made from and check their proofmarks, chances are good you can find pieces that're German from both world wars, Czech replacements, original Turkish Contract bits, and who knows what else.

And just 'cause I thought of it, I've got a couple Turk bayonets I won at an auction. If you'd like one, drop me a PM, and you can have it for shipping.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am also a young collecter. I am 14 and got my first Mosin a couple of weeks ago. I have caught the milsurp bug :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
It can be verry addictive. I am 24 and i already have 5 Finnish Mosin Nagants and one 1909 Argentine Mauser. Just bought a bayonet for the mauser. I have accumulated 4 of them just in the past year. I have other Rifles but they are not Millsurps. Im currently looking for a K31, and a nice Enfield. I also want a grand but cant aford the 600 from CMP for the grade I want.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K31's rock! Here is mine, a 1952 all matching one at that! My grandmother and dad got me this after my grandpa had bought me a Yugo SKS.
:) K31's are by far one of if not the most accurate C&R rifles out there.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can be verry addictive. I am 24 and i already have 5 Finnish Mosin Nagants and one 1909 Argentine Mauser. Just bought a bayonet for the mauser. I have accumulated 4 of them just in the past year. I have other Rifles but they are not Millsurps. Im currently looking for a K31, and a nice Enfield. I also want a grand but cant aford the 600 from CMP for the grade I want.
I know the feeling, if only we had all been born in the 1960's lol.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thats a nice K31 im hopeing to find one in a walnut stock.

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
A Turk is a nice start but the ammo is not cheap as it once was. They are good shooters and are well made. You might go to our Mauser forum and ask there as well.

As you are a new collector - Get a Finn M39. You can still find one at a decent price and they are great guns. In time value will go up so now might be the best time to buy.

It is good to see some young guys here as this forum is meant to assist all collectors. When I started this site I was in my mid 20's but now I am old but not as old as Vic.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
I wish I had started collecting at that age. Who knows what I could have got for cheap 20 years ago...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I am also a young collecter. I am 14 and got my first Mosin a couple of weeks ago. I have caught the milsurp bug :)
Good start!!!!

I'm also a young collector. My interest in Mosin Nagant started when I was 14.

now, 6 years later, Mosin Nagant rifles are my drug;)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My interest in collecting stared when I was 15 when my grandpa gave me his dad's Arisaka Type-99. I already had a Marlin Model 60 so this got me to thinking. Before I knew it I was selling a 50cc motorbike to get a M44. The next one came from my grandpa as a Christmas present it was a Yugoslavian M59/66A2 SKS. Then in early 2007 I got to go to my first gunshow and picked up an M91/30 and a K31. Then next came a Chinese T-53, which I have restored the best I can due to its rough condition. Now last Monday I got a Turkish Mauser. I hope to get a Carcano and an Enfield before 2008 so I can enter the new year with 10 nice rifles in my collection.
Here are some more pictures. ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
3,283 Posts
C&Rriflecollector91, the only thing I see that you're doing wrong is resizing your pictures too small for us old geezers to see any detail.:)
Good luck with your future collection, do not ever let go of that Marlin 60 first rifle, or your Great Grandpa's Arisaka. You will regret them later if you do.
You found the right site to get the info you need.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,531 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
14, 16, 20 God I'm getting old! Welcome to all the young collectors.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Post pic's of what you buy, we all like to see new items, rare or common =+) Ask many questions - We all are glad to help if we can - I have been collecting for only ten years or so - It has been fun. Good people here....

Pahtu.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts