Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did the Finns participate in the Russian Civil War? I’ve never read that they fought at all with the white armies?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Did the Finns participate in the Russian Civil War? I’ve never read that they fought at all with the white armies?
Finland didn't participate in the Russian Civil War but they did have their own Civil War. Finland declared it's independence from Russia on 6 Dec 1917, this set off the Finnish Civil War between the White Finnish forces supported by Germany and others and the Red Finnish forces supported by the Russian communists. The Whites ultimately prevailed in May of 1918 and established the Republic of Finland.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Finland didn't participate in the Russian Civil War but they did have their own Civil War. Finland declared it's independence from Russia on 6 Dec 1917, this set off the Finnish Civil War between the White Finnish forces supported by Germany and others and the Red Finnish forces supported by the Russian communists. The Whites ultimately prevailed in May of 1918 and established the Republic of Finland.
6 of 1. Half dozen of the other to me. Unless I'm wrong Finland was a duchy of Russia at the outset of the Russian Civil War then Finlands civil war was a civil war within a civil war. Resulting in its own independence...

Be a weird version of the us civil war where the confederates won, but Vermont hung on and became some other form of government differentfrom both waring factions, like a theocracy...

·
Site Contributor
1,260 Posts
The exact status of Finland in 1809 - 1917 was autonomic grand dutchy with Russian czar as its grand duke. Finland had its own Parliament and Senate, which declared independence in December of 1917 and the Civil War started in January of 1918.

Germany delivered Finnish White Army about 87,000 Mosin-Nagant rifles, while Russian Bolsheviks delivered Finnish Red Guards some 53,000 rifles from St. Petersburg and Tallinn and unknown number of rifles were handed to them by Russian units stationed in Finland. In addition Finnish White Army captured large number of rifles, when it disarmed (with force when necessary) all Russian military units that it found in Finnish territory. When Finnish Army the first time made proper inventory of its small arms in February of 1919, there were some 210,000 Mosin-Nagant rifles of all models in its inventory.

Being the rarest variation m/1910 (or M/07) carbine not really an official rifle model for Finnish Army after Civil War, but small number may have seen some use early on. I have been working to add a lot of photographs on my website (they will become available for the next update which I have been working for months already). Attached is one of my archive finds from finna.fi database of Finnish museums.

Its photo caption will be: "Sergeant Major Blomqvist (of Civil Guard) and two Civil Guard boys. The rifles that the boys have appear to be carbines M/07. Sergeant Major Blomqvist has pistol holster for Parabellum-pistol hanging from his belt. Photographed by Ivan Tirimiasew in year 1923 in Helsinki. Major General Ivan Tirimiasew (1860 - 1927) was cavalry officer of Russian Army, whose last service post was as adjutant for Governer-General of Finland. Highly capable amateur photographer Tirimiasew retired in year 1917 and spent his last years in Finland. Photo source finna.fi - Helsingin Kaupunginmuseo / Helsinki City Museum, used with CC BY 4.0 Creative Commons license".

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My 1917 Remington is one of the rifles sent to the White Finns during The Finnish Civil War, after being captured by the Germans.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have various documentary photos with Mosin-Nagant rifles. I don’t know what exactly will be interesting.
Therefore, I post the photo in parts, in the context of the main discussion of the topic.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts