Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Nice. I believe they are German markings. Somebody will probably be able to identify them. I like it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
billaire1: Saw this rifle in the auction. It's in a Finn stock, is it not? Any other distinctive markings? Is the receiver also marked as 1910 Izhevsk?

Ruprecht

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billaire1: Saw this rifle in the auction. It's in a Finn stock, is it not? Any other distinctive markings? Is the receiver also marked as 1910 Izhevsk?

Ruprecht
I don’t know if it’s in a Finnish stock it doesn’t seem to have any Finnish SA stamps on the metal?
The language on the side of the receiver doesn’t seem to be Finnish correct?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree looks like a German/Austrian depot mark. Neat rifle though!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Probably Armee Depot Graudenz, then Germany, now in Poland. Acquired by Finland and reworked.
Bill, you bought this rifle or just asking for someone who bought it at recent auction? Didn't think you would be interested in non-Greek rifle.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,011 Posts
I also have a Finnish Mosin with this mark - up to now, had never seen another! That is a neat one. I also spy a Civil Guard =S= proof on the barrel. And final interesting point - this is only the 3rd 1910 Izhevsk M91 I've seen and the serial number is really high! I'm suprised because if there were 65k, I'd expect many more out there.The other two are under 3500.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably Armee Depot Graudenz, then Germany, now in Poland. Acquired by Finland and reworked.
Bill, you bought this rifle or just asking for someone who bought it at recent auction? Didn't think you would be interested in non-Greek rifle.
Hello! I bought the rifle I was just trying to see if it was a German capture and obviously it is! ;-)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think you are right. This is the most likely version.

Artillerie Depot Graudenz

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Horlika, How do you know it was reworked by the fins?

·
Registered
970 Posts
How did they go from Russian to German to Finnish?
Captured from the Russians by the Germans on the Eastern front in WW1. In 1917 and 1918 Germany shipped thousands of captured Mosin's to Finland to support the White Army. Also, during the interwar era Finland purchased hundreds of thousands of Mosin's from a number of different European countries. Some of these Mosin's were German captured rifles from WW1 as well so your rifle could have gotten to Finland by either route.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts