Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea on what this helmet is?

It has nylon webbing so it is not very old.

I am guessing it is a military helmet, not civilian police.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
hello, it's a French F1 helmet M78 [first model] adopted by France around 1978

if you look inside you will see the factory marking and year of manufacture

they are usually worn with a camo cover

The helmet with a desert camo cover was used by Foreign Legion in 1991 in the “Operation daguet” against Iraq and the one with hand painted desert camo was also used in Iraq by the French Legionaires

French paratroopers still use this helmet during jumps, its a very well designed helmet and very comfortable, they are made in one size with an adjustable headband.

http://translate.google.com/transla...w.cascoscoleccion.com/portada.htm&sl=es&tl=en

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks again.

Inside it does have-

GIAT-ARS 1979.

I thought the tape had been added after military use.

I appreciate your help.
NY50/70

you have one of the early First model F1 helmets , I dont see many 1979 dated F1's , I would keep that one, maybe you could put a camo cover on it

the first model F1's were made up to around 1982 - 83, the second model looks the same but has a few minor changes like swivel loops for the chin strap, velcro closure instead of the button snap, small rivet on the shell , different design center pad for comfort

here is a photo of the liner of the second model F1 with the improvements to the liner, notice the chin strap just has a simple velcro strap [no metal snap buttons] like the earlier model

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.