Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
IMHO, no. K31 is nice, but 1903's and 03a3's have had a higher value, for longer.
That is a nice clean birch stock K31, but personally I wouldn't put it over $500-600 unless it's special , and your 1903 is $800+ all day unless a rewat receiver.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
IMHO, no. K31 is nice, but 1903's and 03a3's have had a higher value, for longer.
That is a nice clean birch stock K31, but personally I wouldn't put it over $500-600 unless it's special , and your 1903 is $800+ all day unless a rewat receiver.

The K31 is his, the '03 is not, so the trade would theoretically be in his favor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The k31 is mine, the 1903 is the other guys

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is there anything unique about your K31...as has been stated the 03 has more value unless there is something uniquely special with yours.

Or something uniquely UNspecial about the 03 like replacement parts or a shot out bore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok...given the 1919 date it would be nice to do a serial number check to see if it falls in the "low number" range. Most here do not care much about that but others may create much smoke where there is little fire.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I’d trade. There are plenty of K31s about, and ammo is spotty. You can always find another easily if you find you miss it. The 1903 is an equally interesting rifle that’s worth $800 minimum and usually they go for $1000+ these days. And it’s got some wwii pedigree.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,745 Posts
The K31 is his, the '03 is not, so the trade would theoretically be in his favor.
I can't reed. So ..um. Ya. As long as it's not a low# 1903....go for it.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,310 Posts
Swiss GP11 ammo: noncorrosive, so bores are typically in excellent condition. The 03's value depends on its bore condition, which must be carefully inspected.

There are NDT scope mounts and diopter sights for the K31, so more shooting options. The only ammo available now is Prvi Partizan or reloads.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I could have bought into K31s when Dan brought them in, he had excellent rifles, and the ammo was still cheap, but, he warned then, there would never be any more huge amounts of ammo for them, I passed and never looked back.

Take the 03.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,310 Posts
Do not buy any 03 remotely without inspecting bore condition. Been there, was had by that. Luckily for me a local guy rebarrels 03's and I got out from under. Do not assume any 03 or 03-A3 has bore condition like a Swiss straight pull or Swedish Mauser. The Swiss and Swedes were never used with corrosive ammo; not so for the 03.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If it is a 1919 RIA receiver with a 42 barrel date, and that additional gas escape hole on the left side of the receiver, it might be a Marine rebuild. Then if that is the case it's probably worth twice what that Swiss is worth.

What is the month on the 42 barrel? If it's a mid 42 to 11/42, pull the handguard and look for barrel vise marks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts