Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. It seems like it's been years. Oh yeah, it has. Just thought I'd touch base with youse guys. Sold off most of the collection, trying to save my marriage. Didn't work, imagine that. However. I'm still kicking and off on a grand adventure. My brother and I have a gun/antiques/militaria/oddity shop... in the Pineville Louisiana area. We have every stuff. If we don't have it, we can get it. If we can't get it, we'll build it. Also licensed for Class III items. I'm still collecting, but in different directions. Still have some Japanese, and have added some juicy items.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Hi Trench,
good to see/hear you're back

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Trench, great to hear from ya and welcome back. Need to catch up with.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,112 Posts
Welcome home Trenchy! :thumbsup:

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
Welcome back Trenchy! Hope to hear from you often. Great photos!
Stay single, like me ;) You'll be happier

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. Good to be back. Will post more pics of the shop later. We have over 4000 sq ft of awesomeness.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Hey, Trench,

A question about a couple of the short (waki) D-guards in the top photo. Are they police swords? We just had a discussion on NMB about a short D-guard, but it had ground-off sakura blossoms. Can't see the emblems on yours.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are all Police blades. All have five petal sakura, and or Police badges. Also, all have sharpened edges, and are weapons, not just for show. The "katana" is actually referred to as a Tachi, according to Jim Dawson. Carried toward the end of the war.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Ok, thanks!

That canvas saya cover is pretty rare, and yours is immaculate! Nice piece! The model is a Type 98 Japanese Officer sword. They were all "tachi", meaning they were carried with the cutting edge down. Katana were carried cutting edge up. The question of "late-war" would be better determined by the tang, if there's a date there. If no date, sometimes there will be inspector stamps that can indicate a date range. Have any pictures? I could take a look.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is not a standard Type 98. It was fitted out as a police sword. The fuchi bears the police badge. The blade is older, but not signed or dated. Probably early Edo. The saya cover I found on Ebay, back when I still trusted it. Later I found the army issue shoe laces to tie it on with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.