Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

recently i went for some shooting in my village,

what i noticed was that when chambering the round it did show some resistance when the round was almost 90% in the chamber [before turning the bolt handle down] .

Although i did not have any problems shooting .is it possible that i have headspace issues??

thanx

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Nope, check the spent cases for drag marks, you may have a burr at the leading edge of the chamber, OR the north face of the extractor may be slightly distorted.
I assume the bolt works properly without a round in it?
Lastly, you do know not to attempt to insert a round in the chamber and then close the bolt, right?
98 actions feed from the mag well ONLY, and if you try to single feed a round, the face of the extractor will crash into the rear of the case instead of fitting in the groove at the rear of the case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for your response

yes the bolt works well with out a round.

and yes again, i did use the mag.

and yes the spent cases have some scratches .

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Mark a cartridge with a marker pen and fire it, when you extract the case you can orient the mark to the scratch, then use a lamp to inspect the chamber lip for a burr or ding.
Some dings can be dressed with 600 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil, and some need a file. When in doubt, pay a gunsmith a few clams to get it done right....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it possible that its the extractors fault??

i mean when the round is 90% in shouldnt the extractor have 100% clamped the bullet in the groove??

mine gets the round half in the groove thats why it needs more pressure to chamber it maybe because of the elevation difference in the bullet head and the bullet end...

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I've repaired both conditions, in fact I cured one by installing a different extractor a few weeks ago.
I would focus on the "witness" marks on the spent case.
If the scratch or dings are north of the groove then it's a burr or ding in the chamber entrance.
If the scratches are near the claw tip, then it's a deformed extractor.
If you can get your hands on a known good extractor, you could compare the working surface of each and see if yours has a flaw or has been altered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a straight bolt ww1 mauser but does the same thing..

maybe ill try sandpaper

ill work on it and get back to you..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi

fixed 70% of the problem the extractor from my older bolt works better and now the problem is almost unnoticeable ....

thanx

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Take a close look at the underside of the extractor claw, you may be able to "stone" it and make it work properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts