Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me gunboard gurus. I took me old SMLE to the range yesterday. I have recently acquired a lot of surplus ammo, head stamp RG 53 7 If I've done my homework thats manufactured at the Radgreen factory in 1953 and is standard Mk 7 ammo. I haven't shot this gun much and not at all in at least 7 years.
The Problem: when I was picking up after shooting (maybe 100 or so rounds) I noticed that some of the brass had small splits at the neck area and looked as if gas had escaped, burning a small "V" at the ends of the fissure.
Is this indicative of a head space problem or could it be chamber related? Could it possibly be ammo related? I dug up the Remington Factory Ammo from the last time that I shot and it doesn't show any signs of the problem.
Please help I kinda like this old gun.

Wheeler44

·
Registered
272 Posts
Same thing happened to me with 1943 Australian ammo. More than likely it is not your chamber, but the brass.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'd go with the brass as well. 50-70 year old brass gets brittle. I've had this problem a few times, only with the old stuff.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, I was getting worried. Now I just have to get this thing to where I trust it for hunting.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
They are right, old brass, brittle; neck cracks, little gas escapes a ways.
Nothing to worry about; just be sure to clean that corrosive residue out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts