Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make my own head space GO,NO-GO & FIELD gauges for my MOSIN NAGANT M44. Does anyone know what the tolerances should be or where I can get those dimentions? I have my own lathe,mill and drill press, so making them should be no problem. Buying these gages would cost MORE than I paid for the rifle,besides I like making things. I have found the dimentions for the 7.62 x 54r cartridge and the rim thickness is listed as .055 in one site and .064 in another site. I will have to sort this out. My plan would be, at this point, to make disc type gauges as apposed to slug type gauges.

·
Silver Bullet member
803 Posts
Wrong board.Post this down on the Collectors board,and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
According to "The Illustrated Reference of Cartridge Dimensions", rim thickness is 0.063" or 1.6mm. You could buy several samples of as many different cartridges from each of several countries that produced the round and go from there to "sort it out". Refer to www.7.62x54r.net for the currently available varieties. You will only need "GO" and a "NO-GO" gages if you are installing new barrels. Soliciting information is not the same as measuring all dimensions yourself "in-house" and using a single instrument with consistent "feel" to determine your average dimension. Remember to remove the lacquer or any protective coating from the Albanian (brass) and all steel-cased ammo. DDR

·
Registered
42 Posts
Headspace gauges.

Don't wast your time trying to make your own gauges. Every once in a while someone post about doing the same and you never hear about the results. Headspace gauges are precision measuring devices with tight tolerances that would be difficult to maintain using just a lathe. By the time you locate the material set up your equipment and make the part a lot of time will transpire. You can buy a gauge for around $29.00 for Yankee Engineering if you want the coin type. All you realy need is the No-Go or Field size. Pretty hard to make you gauge for less. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
mickeymauser: I was hoping to have him reconsider the project by my last post. And then there is heat treating them... Yankee gages are a bargain in time saved and in headache prevention. DDR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts