Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any sentiments on these?? Anybody use them, or generally find it just not to be necessary?? I'm interested in some myself, but nobody has them. Numrich lists them, but most are unavailable. Spoke with Clymer Gunsmith Tools a few minutes ago. They have no stock, but will make them. They are about $50.00, but if they can make at least 10, they'd try to lower the price from estimating between $30.00 and $40.00. Any interest here? If there was enough, I'd be willing to coordinate it....

·
Silver Bullet member
15,554 Posts
headspace guages for Japanese rifles

Guages made to modern SAAMI specs would be of little use in checking WWII and older weapons.

Much has been written on this in past threads, perhaps some of the experts would like to add to this one.

I have yet to experience but one problem in headspace in the over 100 rifles I have; and that was a case where I used a spare bolt to replace a bent bolt in a T38, the replacement bolt would not close on a cartridge. Had to keep swapping bolts till I found one that would close, i.e. a case of too little headspace.

I suppose the worst case of excessive headspace was when I fired a 6.5x 50 mm round in a 6.5 x 57 chamber(converted but not marked). Resulted in the blown out cartridge shoulder below. Never knew anything was wrong until I picked up the funny looking ejected cartridge.

No gas escape, no unusual noise, no nothing. Just a straightened out cartridge case, and the round did hit the target.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it sounds like there probably isn't too much to be concerned with unless perhaps there was serious erosion or something like that. Perhaps I'm just being overly cautious out of inexperience.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Headspace gauges

I have gauges for 6.5 and 7.7. Not of any value as most all rifles I have will pass the no=go gauge. If a cartridge will chamber you are fine. riceone.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Yes, quite agree with Don. None of my rifles had any problems except for a sporterized and parkerized Tokyo T-38 sans bolt I bought for $30 and was planning to use as a regular shooter. I found an early 38 bolt for the rifle that cycled perfectly without a round, but when I chambered a Norma cartridge out in the desert for the first time, the whole thang locked up. The firing pin will not drop, the bolt will not open, completely frozen with the cartridge still in the chamber. Classic lock-up from just a bit not enough headspace. Poor piece has been stripped of all strippable parts and is still buried out there in the sands of Nevada, me not having the guts of carrying a chambered and a frozen-bolt rifle in my trunk.
The T-38 family (rifle, carbine and T-44), especially the early ones have a somewhat hand-fitted spec, so if you have a mismatched bolt, it would be wise to cycle a few dummy rounds (you can make one with a spent primer and empty case with a bullet), before you go out shooting with a live round.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts