Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having extreme issues with aiming my Finnish M27.

I can’t get a proper sight picture for the camera, but this is how the sights look. (Note, I’m not missing the main part on the front sight, it is painted white so it’s hard to see)

So anyways, I’ve been having a real tough time getting my sights aligned properly. I’m fairly confident I know the correct sight picture, but my eye just can’t focus on front sight correctly, no matter where I try.

it just goes out of focus for my eye. I’ve tried focusing in on it a bunch of different ways. I’ve even tried my left eye.

It somewhat works for me with both eyes semi open.

any tips? Paint the front sight orange perhaps?

there’s currently some Glow-on on it, which hasn’t helped.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I make my sights as dark matte black as I can, but i live around Ice and snow.

Have you tried them darkened?

How are you with other such sights, Mosin or M-39, etc?

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
No help here. So far, I've found Mosins to be very easy to obtain a good sight picture. Mausers are my problem.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,079 Posts
The M27's rear sight has a "V" notch, and it would be mated to the pyramid front sight, what the German's call "Kimme und Korn" or barleycorn sight. But the front sight is a blade, so it's a hybrid sight picture that really doesn't make much sense to someone used to shooting either a traditional Mauser or a rifle like the Swiss straight pulls or M28., M28/30 and M39 with a blade front sight and a semicircular rear sight notch. I got a spare rear sight notch plate, reversed it and filed a semicircular notch in it.

The problem of focus on both the rear sight, front sight, and target is due to old, tired eyes. I use an "EyePal" applique on my shooting glasses. It uses the pinhole camera principle to improve focus. It works well, but obviously has problems in low light.

I have astigmatism, and my optometrist finally got a good correction for me a number of years ago. But the problem is the the full correction in the lens is in the center of the lens. But when I shoot, I am actually looking through the upper left corner of the lens , where correction is weaker and prismatic error is introduced. So, I had my optometrist make up a set of shooting glasses for me with the right lens configured so the focal center of the lens is in the upper left corner, so I get full correction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I make my sights as dark matte black as I can, but i live around Ice and snow.

Have you tried them darkened?

How are you with other such sights, Mosin or M-39, etc?
I sadly don’t have much experience with other ironsights, but I have an SKS, which essentially has the same ironsights as a Russian 91/30 as far as I remember, and I’ve had no issues with it.

I think my next step is making the front sight bright orange instead. The metal is already so dark that I don’t know if blackening it would help, but if I can find a nice, non permanent way to blacken it I’ll absolutely give it a shot.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,079 Posts
Oh, from what I’ve seen most Mosin seem to have great sight pictures. It’s just this wacky ass Finnish sight that’s given me trouble.
Reread my post #4 above. Remove the screw-on rear sight notch plate. File a small semicircular notch with a Swiss needle file on the side opposite the "V" notch, and reinstall it.

Pic shows my "SA" stamped Swedish M96 fitted with the "JF" windage adjustable target sight. It originally had the "V" notch, which I did not like. So I filed it to form a shallow "U" notch. The additional depth of the notch provides flat sides for alignment reference with the straight front sight blade.

Added: Rear Sight Leaf & Slide | Gun Parts Corp.
If you don't want to modify your original sight's notch plate, you can get a spare one here: Ignore the listing shown on Numrich's website for the M27; the sight illustrated there is for the M28.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reread my post #4 above. Remove the screw-on rear sight notch plate. File a small semicircular notch with a Swiss needle file on the side opposite the "V" notch, and reinstall it.

Pic shows my "SA" stamped Swedish M96 fitted with the "JF" windage adjustable target sight. It originally had the "V" notch, which I did not like. So I filed it to form a shallow "U" notch. The additional depth of the notch provides flat sides for alignment reference with the straight front sight blade. View attachment 3841117

Added: Rear Sight Leaf & Slide | Gun Parts Corp.
If you don't want to modify your original sight's notch plate, you can get a spare one here: Ignore the listing shown on Numrich's website for the M27; the sight illustrated there is for the M28.
It can’t hurt to try. Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
8,079 Posts
It can’t hurt to try. Thanks
Use a good quality Swiss needle file. The cheap Chicom diamond grit files are too erratic for precise control of the alignment of the sides of the U" notch.

Here is a pic of one of my M39's rear sight.

I have modified the rear sight notches on my Swiss straight pulls the same way. The key point is to keep the sides of the notch straight and not to widen the notch.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Oh, from what I’ve seen most Mosin seem to have great sight pictures. It’s just this wacky ass Finnish sight that’s given me trouble.
I wasn't thinking. The M27 I have shot has the Konovalov rear sight. The V notch might be a little harder to use. Rear notch on other Mosins I own is very easy to use.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
If you do decide to paint the front sight as a test, get international orange or lime green same color they paint fire trucks. I once asked a fire chief why the lime green?. Said they had problems with people not realizing it was a fire truck. Walked away scratching my head. You want a highly visible bright color that really stands out. You could do this while waiting for your notch plate and get extra screws at the same time. And the notch plate currently on your M27 spritz some kroil where the screws are. Matter of fact, I'll be looking for some international orange for the front sight on my Chilean 1895 short rifle in 7mm. Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts