Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While those of us that have several RC K98s have come to expect that a RC K98 will not usually come with locking screws, sight cover, or a cleaning rod have you ever noticed that the small pin that secures the rear sight is usually missing too? I did not notice it until today when I was removing the pin on a French rework K98 I bought this past weekend so I could properly clean the sight assembly.

I checked all my RCs (6) and only one still had the pin. All of my other non-RC K98s still had theirs, even the Czech and Yugo K98s. It does not bother anything as far as function goes so I guess Ivan tossed them for scrap like the other parts that are usually missing. Funny that it took me this long to notice it. Maybe it won't be long before someone reproduces those too! Hell they are makeing Krieg band screw reproductions now.

Left pic is a RC.....Right pic is a Non-RC

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be advised that not all K98 rear sights have, need, or were designed to accept a pin...

Could you please expand on that claim. Seems odd that ALL my non-RCs (14) have the pin while 5 out of 6 RCs do not. The fact that they do not need one to function is obvious.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Ive did a study on this? not sure if bob answered. also its a thing i check on my 'bring backs' cause they are easily damaged when removed.
they have some with no hole at all for a pin. on the thread (study)from what i gathered, they were tried out,?? and then went back to the pin and hole. i believe i have a couple 'no pin' sights. i haven't determined maker or years. im thinking 42~43. not sure. one can use a decapping pin (the .30 ones or try it out, there are several sizes) for reloaders , then trim to fit. for me Ive never seen a RC with one on.
IMHO went the way of the locking screws. hope this helps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mid war they decided to try cutting them from production, figured they weren't necessary. They were right. Some continued to use, some not, some started back using again. It's fairly common knowledge not all k98's were built with this locking pin.

·
Banned
737 Posts
The unpinned sight leaf had been tried before on the Kar98a. From 1909-1917 the 98a used no pin or other fastener, then at some point in 1917 it was decided to use a threaded screw into each side of the leaf lugs. Post WW1 they started using a through pin on the 98a, as well as the Kar98b and Gew98M.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what you are saying is....If it has a provision for the pin in the sight "leaf" then a pin was used? I don't know about "common knowledge" but common sense would dictate if it did not have a hole for a pin it could not hardly have had one stuck in there. I just don't have a K98 with a sight like that. Sorry

All the RCs without pins that I got have the hole for a pin. I figure Ivan tossed them on RCs for the most part. Thanks for the info.

·
Gold Bullet member
993 Posts
FWIW... A quick check of first 5 RC K98's in cabinet showed the following three leaf variations.

3 with empty holes in the leaf trunnions

1 has pin installed. However pin is ground flush with the leaf trunnion, so it functions as a solid piece

1 has solid leaf trunnion.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
rc:
37 bSw has hole and no pin

non rc:
41 byf has pin
44 dou has pin
gew98m has pin

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
1938 42 has hole but no pin

1939 237 has hole but no pin

1943 bnz has hole but no pin

Just for giggles I checked my Yugo Capture and it does have the pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts