Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Actually I had the R/O come over and ask what I was shooting as the muzzle blast is very loud and so was the muzzle flash. So let him fire off a few rounds. Was using Yugo heavy ball. Definitely got the attention of other shooters. Frank

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Actually I had the R/O come over and ask what I was shooting as the muzzle blast is very loud and so was the muzzle flash. So let him fire off a few rounds. Was using Yugo heavy ball. Definitely got the attention of other shooters. Was shooting my 1944 Russian carbine. Frank

·
Registered
330 Posts
This makes no sense to me. I have a Mosin and an AR. An AR with a muzzle break is so much louder and higher pitched than a Mosin. A Mosin is much bassier and doesn’t disturb the eardrums quite as much. At least that’s what I’ve found.

Now my M1 is loud af. But Mosins or K98’s aren’t bad to me.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
yeah, what I do is screw on a 74 brake on my SLR 106ur and shoot it, it channels the shock wave and noise to the sides, that'll get their attention, as well as the huge fireballs that come off the front and sides of the brake...........OH YEAH!:eek:
:devilish:

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Its the pitch I think; I can shoot my M-39 with a solid "Chug" while a Mini 14 gives me a sharper "crack".

Probly has a lot to do with barrel length, I figure too, 'cause my M-38 is louder, to me, than the M-39.....

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The best I can relate is my experience with a Hakim some 30 tears ago.....That I remember vividly

I am shooting on the right most point and a fellow next to me as having his brass rain on me.... when I told him what was happening he told me "it happens"...... I was shooting a bolt gun at that point I believe and switched at for the Hakim. I loaded up a mag full and let them fly, the concussion and flash at the range overhang really startled him... He as like a roach when the lights come on and he looked at me after I was out of ammo.... I just replied it happens!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
About 10 years ago while re enacting a WWII Russian / German Event I broke out a box of recently purchased blanks 762x54 .nothing special or thats what we thought..loaded a few into an M44 and fired them (Responsibly Yelling fire in the hole ) & Holy [email protected]#@..Were these things LOUD !!Obviously Blanks for an MG or some arm requiring heavier charge ..I still have about 200 of them..Couldnt give them away..

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Last year when AR parts were as cheap as they ever had or will be. I convinced 3 out of 4 guys on my crew to build AR-15 pistols. Get while the getting was good. We took them out and shot them one evening. 10.5 In ARs are a blast.....
Then I brought out the .308 FN SCAR17 with factory muzzle break. That thing gives even the shooter a mild concussion. Yet alone the poor bastards standing within 75 feet in either direction around you! Always a crowd pleaser or disperser!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was shooting my 7.62x39 suppressed straight pull Lynx with just soft plugs on, when a strange guy came to the next booth to hammer with his 338WinMag with a muzzle brake without even a greeting first. After a few shots, I put down my Lynx and dug out my 12.7 Swedish black powder Remington rolling block carbine. After a few smoky blasts, he packed up his gear and left mumbling something about poor visibility. I think I also matched his noise level... from prone, the Remington leaves a smoky parting line on the grass.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
If you are shooting without hearing protection, you are asking for twin hearing aids sooner rather than later.

This topic reminds me of a range experience some 5-6 years ago. I was shooting at my club's range from a bench. Two benches to my left was a guy shooting an AR with a muzzle brake. Why you need a muzzle brake on any 5.56 rifle escapes me, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, every time this guy fired the pressure wave from his muzzle brake pushed me to the side. I was shooting my scoped K31 so I had to wait in between his shots in order to get a steady lay on target.

After a while this guy finally noticed I was looking at him between my shots. He asked if his muzzle brake was bothering me. So he evidently already knew about its effects. I told him that I was actually enjoying it, since it simulated firing while under an artillery bombardment and was good practice. He then got up and moved his gear over the far end of the firing line.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
CETME ! off the bench under the awning

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Range in VA BCH that allowed anything. Couple were playing with their ARs. They were not unpleasant but were definitely playing the one up-manship as most of us were shooting bolt guns or .22s. Speaking about the rate of fire blah blah blah. We pulled out the MG-34......(it belongs to my buddy).....

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
We were at a reenactment at Wilson's Creek a few years ago, and had the dubious pleasure of being placed in battery with a crew of showboating texans with a 12pdr. 2 1/2 pounds per shot. The concussion hurt me, and I was gunner! My crew paid the price, as they were on our gun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.