Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circa 1970, when M1 Garands were scarce on the civilian market, I purchased a M1 Springfield from a company in California. The rifle was rebarreled to .308 Winchester and had National Match front and rear sights and was glass bedded. I think I paid about $160 which at the time was a week and an half wages. Since the 1968 Gun Control Act was in effect, I had the rifle shipped to the only dealer in my small hometown. He ripped me for $20 which at the time was almost a day’s wages. I never bought anything from him again. Ironically, his son, who inherited his business, was convicted last year of selling stolen items through his store. He would have individuals steal items from the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart and then he would sell them in his store.
I was shooting high power at the time and the rifle shot pretty well. I was shooting a Leg Match at Camp Perry and made the last place cut-off spot. The fellow whose score was next to below mine filed a formal challenge that I was using an illegal rifle because my rifle lacked a stacking swivel and therefore my scores should be disqualified. The Match Director sided with him. He got the Leg, I didn’t.
I think I bought the rifle from a company named Whitney in Azusa, California. Can anyone confirm the company’s name? Has anyone seen or have a “Whitney”?

·
Banned
536 Posts
I grew up in Azusa, was in highschool there from 1973 to 1977. I only remember one gun store in town that being Azusa Gun on Azusa Avenue and maybe another on Arrow Hyw. You sure you didn't get it from Federal Ord. in El Monte?

·
Gold Bullet Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you MeatMissile for your reply.
After racking the old brain and looking through some forty year old copies of The American Rifleman, does Whitney Sales of Reseda or Van Nuys, California make any sense to you or anyone else out there?
Thank you again MeatMissile for jogging the old brain. I don't know how I came up with Azusa.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts