Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 8 pound jug of Varget Powder and was wondering if this would be suitable for use in 5.56 using a 62gr FMJ bullet? If it is good then how do I find a recipe for the powder charge. I can't find any 62gr recipes on the web. I'd love to start using some of this large amount of powder I have!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Varget is a great powder for 223/5.56. I find it impossible to believe you are not finding load data anywhere, so you must not be looking very hard. It's arguably one of the top two or three most popular powders for that round. If your search skills are really that weak, try the hodgdon web site.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Varget is a great powder for 223/5.56. I find it impossible to believe you are not finding load data anywhere, so you must not be looking very hard. It's arguably one of the top two or three most popular powders for that round. If your search skills are really that weak, try the hodgdon web site.
That's because I was looking for a recipe for W-Ball powder instead of Varget. I will do another search using the correct powder search. Thanks o_O

Reactions: bigwagon

·
Registered
939 Posts
Love Varget for .223/5.56. I have loaded thousands with this but I use 55 grain hollow points. Keep searching for what you need.

I have been using CFE 223 but it is such small grains of powder, it spills easily on my Dillon 650XL progressive press. I'm going back to Varget for my .223 on the progressive press.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love Varget for .223/5.56. I have loaded thousands with this but I use 55 grain hollow points. Keep searching for what you need.

I have been using CFE 223 but it is such small grains of powder, it spills easily on my Dillon 650XL progressive press. I'm going back to Varget for my .223 on the progressive press.
Thanks for your help. I did find a recipe for 62gr bullet using 22gr of Varget pushing 2800 fps. That's middle of the road fps.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. I did find a recipe for 62gr bullet using 22gr of Varget pushing 2800 fps. That's middle of the road fps.
Well I spent the last 3 hours cleaning the bench, install my Redding press, getting all the necessary do-dads together to start reloading a lot of .223 brass. Wouldn't you just know it that I don't have a shell holder that would fit my press. I have a Lee #4 but not compatible with the primer ram. Tried drilling the holder out but it pushed the sleeve inside the hole out. (Didn't even realize it had a sleeve inside.) Ordered two new holders RCBS and Lyman. No Redding holders to be found. Today has been like getting all dressed up in suit and tie and nowhere to go! 😡

Green Motor vehicle Toy Circuit component Hardware programmer

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Manager to do a "modification" to my Lee shell holder #4 to make it work with my Redding press. I just drilled out the sleeve that was in the hole and all is good now. I pressed primers in, 10 rounds, added powder and tried seating the bullets. I forgot how to adjust the seating/crimping die properly and managed to destroy them. Had to watch YouBoob to figure out what I was doing wrong. I had over tightened the die and it started crimping before the bullet was seated properly. I'll go out later this afternoon and give it another try.

Gold Tin Cylinder Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've crushed a few shoulders too but learned quickly how to avoid damaging more. Just pull the bullets and powder and keep loading. Heck, I've learned most of the stuff I do today the hard way! Trial and error. Youtube makes things a lot easier but you still have to learn some stuff yourself.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've crushed a few shoulders too but learned quickly how to avoid damaging more. Just pull the bullets and powder and keep loading. Heck, I've learned most of the stuff I do today the hard way! Trial and error. Youtube makes things a lot easier but you still have to learn some stuff yourself.
Yup I only did a couple before I figured out I had the die mal_adjusted.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone ever tried using a .222 factory crimp die for 5.56/.223 cases? Seems .223 factory crimp dies are non-existant at this time. I bought one for $18 and will find out if it was wasted money or not! I hope that it will not be a tad too small for the 5.56 ammo being bullets are .224!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Has anyone ever tried using a .222 factory crimp die for 5.56/.223 cases? Seems .223 factory crimp dies are non-existant at this time. I bought one for $18 and will find out if it was wasted money or not! I hope that it will not be a tad too small for the 5.56 ammo being bullets are .224!
I believe the .222 cartridge has a rather long neck, and is a shorter case. If you put washers under the .222FCD to compensate for the longer OAL of the .223 brass,
it'll probably work. Keep us informed on how it goes!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the .222 cartridge has a rather long neck, and is a shorter case. If you put washers under the .222FCD to compensate for the longer OAL of the .223 brass,
I'll keep that in mind when it arrives. Estimated delivery is in another three weeks. I don't care for the crimp that's incorporated in the bullet seating die of my RCBS die.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Crimping is overrated, frankly, even for autoloaders.
Yea.
Right up until you experience the feeding pushback that I have experienced in mine.

now I crimp 3 different cartridges for 6 different autoloaders and have zero problems, and accuracy is not destroyed.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My .222 factory crimper arrived. I tried it on three 5.56x45 cartridges and found that it works just fine as is using a Lee #4 shell holder. Carefull setup adjustment and it worked very well.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
My .222 factory crimper arrived. I tried it on three 5.56x45 cartridges and found that it works just fine as is using a Lee #4 shell holder. Carefull setup adjustment and it worked very well.
That seems odd as my Lee factory crimpers only work if the ctg case is the exact length of the ctg it was made for, or one of the same length and bullet diameter (7.5x54 MAS & 7.62x54R)
Can you post a picture of the crimp you are getting on the case mouth with the 222 die?

Edit: case length is 1.70“ for 222 and 1.76” for 223. Sounds close enough to me

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.