Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have asked this question before on other boards.

Have you ever bought a collector firearm, then had a odd feeling about it?

I bought a 1937 Mauser K-98k (matching) at a show from a older man about 7-8 years ago, he was walking around with it.
His asking price was Ok but I got him to go much lower very quickly.

So I took it home & cleaned it, went out to shoot it that Sunday after church.

I'm man enough to tell you as soon as I fired one shot. I felt uncomfortable with it!
I'm not a guy that is normally like that.
The rifle shot well & was in nice shape, a few dings here & there.
No import markings, I think it was a bring back.

I tried to blow off the feeling, but it was still there! I only got the feeling some thing was wrong when I shot it!
Ha-Ha I'm NOT joking when I tell you it got so bad over the year I had it. The hair on my neck would stand up when I shot it!

The feeling I got was that this is NOT your rifle it is MINE & I want you to put it down NOW! As I said, at home cleaning it it was just another rifle, but at the range WOW!
Bad vibes - or what ever you call it . I was not happy with that rifle in my home! Over active imagination?
I even sprinked holy water over it and said a prayer over it for the original owner to rest in peace.... it did no good!

I kept the rifle about a year, then traded it off to a collector pal for another K-98k.

I never mentioned my feelings about the rifle to him or anyone else. (point6 a scardy cat?)
I was over to see him last year & I asked about it. The prices on the original rifles are going up fast as you guys know.

He looked at me and said he sold it off with in a month.
Some thing was "not right about it" and it gave him the creeps!
He said he made $100 on it and the new owner was happy with it!

I am NOT joking about this event!

Any one else ever have a odd feeling about a gun?

Just for the record I have about 25 WW 1 & WW 2 guns from about six countrys. I don't have a problem with any of them!

Be well,
point6

·
Gold Bullet member
2,118 Posts
I had a cat talk to me once, plain as day. Never a rifle, though.

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I get the same feeling when I go north to Michigan. Oddly, it goes away when I cross back into Buckeye country.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
I get the same sick nauseating gut-wrenching feeling when my wife asks me if I have bought any guns lately......

It soon goes away if I buy her dinner and take her to the movies.....:D

I did, however buy a brand new Dodge Caravan that I swear was possessed by demons from hell. I sold it and bought a used Honda mini-van. Never had a problem after that.

Regards, ARG

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
All my rifles talked to me thats how they got into the collection. I don't have any haunted rifles as far as I know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get the same sick nauseating gut-wrenching feeling when my wife asks me if I have bought any guns lately......

Regards, ARG
LOL.

My wife does the same thing, but goes one step farther. She warns me ahead of time, not to buy any more guns!

LD

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
I"d be glad to take in some "ghost rifles". I lived across the street from a graveyard for 9 years. The most quiet neighbors one could ever ask for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Darn it all - I used to just worry about things like headspace, separated cartridges, and things like that.

Now I have to worry about ghosts too. Sheesh!

LD

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I am a believer - Many things we know as fact, much more we will never know & much of that is not measurable in any way except with what we feel.....

I bought a 91-30 last fall - I dreamed that I saw through the eyes of the soldier who carried it - Was shot at, dodged around - felt scared, etc - Several enemies wearing German uniforms surrounded me, firing - blackness followed. I woke up sweaty & felt spooky. Bad dream/nightmare no doubt - Odd as I never have bad dreams.....Sure felt real...

Pahtu.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
When I worked the homicide unit back in the 90s I routinely handled guns who's ghostly provenance was obvious. None ever said a word to me, handling them didn't bother me. Same thing goes for guns we captured when I was overseas in the 70s.

Sorry, have to say I don't understand getting spooked by a rifle with a completely unknown background.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
*Sigh*. Lots of "manly jokes" here. But I do remember - just as shyquestor - a similar thread a couple of years ago. Objects are inanimate and do not talk, unless one has built a little speaker into the compartment behind the buttplate, but there can indeed be a strong "feeling" about a thing, a feeling that has little to do with its looks or its collector appeal.

Of my guns, none has such flair so far, but one bayonet possibly (and no, the bayonet is in very good condition and does not look like it went through anything...). It is the same as with places. Occasionally, one encounters a place or location with a very strong spiritus loci, and this need not be a dwelling or any human abode. I know because I have *shrug*.

Regards,
Carcano

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
*Sigh*. Lots of "manly jokes" here. But I do remember - just as shyquestor - a similar thread a couple of years ago. Object are inanimate and do not talk, unless one has built a little speaker into the compartment behind the buttplate, but there can indeed be a strong "feeling" about a thing that has little to do with its looks or its collector appeal.

Of my guns, none has so far, but one bayonet possibly (and no, the bayonet is in very good condition and does not look like it went through anything...). It is the same as with places. Occasionally, one encounters a place or location with a very strong spiritus loci, and this need not be a dwelling or any human abode. I know because I have *shrug*.

Regards,
Carcano
Hmmm, Carcano, you've given me an idea for a practical joke! I've read that it's possible to record over the music on those little computer chips that play music on Birthday cards. A little work and you could easily set one up in a rifle to scream "Don't shoot me!" when you pull the trigger! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I once looked at a 1935 Izhevsk 91/30 at our local Big 5 store. When I pulled it out of the, I got a rush of a feeling that indicated a great sorrow. I could not wait to get it back into the box. I thought about it for a day or two and went back, this time no vibes at all, so I layed it away. My kid wanted a 91/30 for his BD, so I had it transfered to a Big 5 near him. His response was the same as mine, he did not want it, so I had it mailed back to me. It's on the wall near my bed, no further vibes, just think it wanted me to know that it had been somewhere very negative. None of my other rifles have said anything to me, except the Danish return M1 which said keep me.
I cannot say I am too talented in intangible directions but I sometimes am able to predict things with amazing accuracy, I can sit in a car and tell you if it's a good one, never been wrong. I know a few people who are very good at predicting, they say like anything else, this ability takes practice, use it or lose it. Most of us would never consider this is possible so they disregard these feelings, it is real, just not for all of us, JIM

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.