Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to reduce the powder amount in 8mm or the 752X54R?

I want to down load some 8mm rds to shoot in some of my old 8mm conversion carcanos. Do you think that 10 grs is to low? I would be using a 150 gr bullets Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
4,804 Posts
IMHO 10 grains is dangerously low. I would suggest that you pick up any reputable reloading manual and start with the lowest recommended load and not deviate from the published loads.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Downloading 8mm

I have a buddy that downloaded a bunch of the yugo 8mm that was way too hot (I forget the year of that batch but I think it was '53 or '54) and had excellent luck. It quit flattening primers and splitting cases and turned into really good shooting ammo. I forget his exact formula but if your going to down load milsurp I'd pull the bullet, weigh the charge and start out by reducing it 10%. This will usually be somewhere between 4 and 5 grains. If you have access to a chronograph, shoot some of it and work up from there. I know this may go against the grain or many, but I have seen it work well. I have shot a bunch of the Romainian light ball in my '93's and Gew 88's with no problems at all. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as hot as the Turk or the Yugo. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts