Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering making a purchase of a new Ruger LCP. The little gun really looks cool and has been getting good press. The thing is ,I can't find anyone who actually owns one or has fired one. I am a little leery purchasing any brand new design after I bought a first year
Chevy Vega.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vega - Boy, does that bring back memories - ALL BAD! My first car was a '72 Vega "Kammback" (the little 2-door wagon model). Naturally, it snapped the timing chain within about 700 miles. Farkin' Chevy...

A buddy of mine has the LCP, and he likes it. I'm leery of it because I have a Grendel P11 (I think that's the model - .380Auto, little plastic clip, POS gun), and they're quite similar. The biggest difference that I've seen is that the LCP will actually feed a round without jamming, while my Grendel can absolutely, 100% be counted upon to jam.

He likes the LCP, and I've shot it, and it's fine. But I'll stick with my Ruger P85. :)

By the way, the Grendel added a new phrase to my vocabulary: "Stop, or I'll THROW!" If I'm in a dicey situation, and all I have is the Grendel for backup, I'll throw it at the perp and run like hell. Who knows - maybe he'll try to use it to shoot me, and that will give me all the getaway time I need.

But back to the LCP. No faults that I could find, except that if you're a large person with large hands (I'm 6'8", 260 lbs), it's hard to hold such a tiny gun and get your finger on the trigger. I was using just the tip of my index finger to pull the trigger, and every shot would send the trigger guard slapping into the first knuckle on my finger. After about 10 shots, I was done. But it shoots and feeds just fine, no issues, and it seems to be pretty well made for what it is.

Mike

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I shot Ol' Duke's, but noticed quite a bit of trigger slap. Bought a Kel Tec 380 and like it so far. Didn't notice any slap with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

If you want to find out about anything this is the place to go.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
LCP

My better-half loves her Ruger LCP. Of course, it is very concealable. Those of you with Kel-Tec P3-ATs know how light a CCW they make.

The sights are miniscule and hard to make out. The trigger is relatively light, but the travel is lengthy before it breaks. The two-finger grip takes some getting used to. I think if one were able to get past its quirks it would make a great *always* gun or b.u.g. Extra magazines are insanely expensive: about 27-30 bucks!

At 7-10 yards it is surprisingly accurate with FMJ and JHP ammo, especially given that it is set up as a "point-and-shoot" pistol with rudimentary sights. I have not shot it very much myself, frankly. I carry a J-frame .38 myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought an LCP

about 6 weeks ago. I carry it every day (pocket or SmartCarry) at work. I really like it. Accuracy is better than I expected. The trigger pull is quite long, but that is probably better than blowing my butt off trying to draw from the pocket holster!!!

I'm very pleased with my LCP.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My Dad got one. It is essentially a Kel tec clone or improved copy. It works fine and is certainly minute of thug accurate. A good carry gun.

·
Diamond Member
1,174 Posts
I have the Kel-Tec .380:

And it works every time! No jamming, no worries that it will jam. The .380 round is not meant to be an "attack" round, only a last defense, up close type weapon, and for that it works very well!

As a retired LEO, I would like to point out that a .45 that you don't Cary because it's too heavy is of no use to you at all, therefore the Kel-Tec is a God send.

The trigger travel that is mentioned is a bit long, but like anything else you need to practice, practice, practice with it BEFORE you slip it into your pocket.

All in all, I would get a Kel-tec and save the extra money for range ammo if I were you as the name isn't going to help you one bit. "Remember, it's never the arrow, it's always the Indian!

Tah

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ruger LCP Reliability

Hi, I bought one after reading that the early feeding issues had been addressed. Ordered it at the LGS and it arrived a couple days later on 9-9-08 . Field stripped it, cleaned and lubed with CLP then grease the rails with Gunslick. Racked the slide 500 times, field stripped it, cleaned, lubed and greased it back to shoot. My ammo arrived a couple days later and I found the time to take it out to test fire it B4 carrying this pistol while riding My Sportster ( replacing My Colt DS II ) . I had 3 magazines in all and loaded them with 6 rounds of WWB, 6rds. Rem. Golden Sabres, 6 hydra-shoks . All feed and fired great. Reloaded all three magazines to run out the rest of My WWB . Loaded a magazine, racked the slide and noticed the trigger was not reset ! Racked out the rest of the magazine and the trigger never reset. So if I am to include the 6 rounds that Preston King test fired threw this pistol at the factory 0n 9-04-2008 this defesive application pistol had total failure at 24 rounds. Now I know there are thousands of LCPs out there running great from reading reviews on the net, but this pistol isn't reliable enough to stake My life on. The Colt DS II went bang every time I have pulled the trigger so that extra weight I am carrying around doesn't seem to matter anymore. Oh Ruger will fix it, already on the way back to Az., but at first I was told 3-5 weeks, after ranting about Q.C. and they were producing 550 per day and how 1 pistol already sold need not take 3 weeks to repair, Her Super said they would try for 2 weeks. After the SR9 recall, and now this problem with the LCP it wil be a long time B4 I purchase another Ruger Semi-Auto. ......WVleo

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
I had a Kel-tec P32, sold it for $250 and bought the LCP for $279....quality of mfg. is so much better than the P32. Both have a long trigger pull, but, if I was in a stress situation, I don't think that would bother me since I'd probably run thru 6 rounds before I noticed the pull...:)

I sat and racked mine 250 times and had no reset problem.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Bummer. Maybe the fixed version will be good. My wife's LCP was good right out of the box. So far no issues at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LCP Report

Got my LCP this past weekend at a gun show. Paid $330 but it came with an extra magazine and I thought that was fair. I know Ruger gets $27.00 for the LCP mag.

I put a box of Winchester 95gr FMJ through it with ZERO malfunctions. I know 50 rounds is not a lot but I tried one handed and two handed rapid fire with no problems. I will shoot for accuracy later as I was more concerned right now to see it it would jam or not.

I'm happy with my LCP. I've been reading as much as I could about them before I bought mine. I see some people have had problems but I want to let everyone know, at least with my first 50 rounds, so far so good.

This little gun seems to be well made. I can find nothing wrong with mine or the two mags I have. It fits comfortably in my pocket with a pocket holster. I know I now have a gun I can have with me all year long regardless of what I'm wearing.

I will post more as I shoot my LCP in the future and let you know the truth, good or bad. Right now, if you're thinking about Ruger LCP, I would say , Get One.

Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
buddy of mine has one, it shot well for a bit; though I will say I was not a fan of it since I had to pull the trigger close to break then aim to hit the plates. However, he has started to experience problem, ftf, fte, slide not closing all the way, burrs on the casings. he called ruger they said they would call him back or send a shipping label, after about 2 weeks nothing. So he tried calling back and noone in their service department would answer the phone after being transfered.

·
Registered
98 Posts
bump LCP have been recalled, due to a number of them firing when dropped. should receive a letter soon if you have purchased one. ruger will be replacing the hammer assembly and some other "upgrades".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts