Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Ironwood makes a nice wood set specifically for the stamped slant cut Mak90 receiver but I was wondering if this is purely for esthetics? Anybody fit a plastic, or wood stock for that matter to a slant cut receiver? Does it seem pretty sturdy? I don't have a anything to try, like another stock, but it looks like the metal missing making it a slant cut isn't much and most of the butt socket would go inside the receiver. I realize some fitting would be required becasue of the thicker receiver walls. I'd hate to order a fixed stock tapco set to find it's a no-go. Also curious if the handguards require much fitting and if the tapco stock sets come with the metal bits for the handguards and the screw and bushing for the pistol grip?

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, nobody? I guess slant cuts aren't really common and not many people restock them. I'll give it a shot and post the results for posterity.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,797 Posts
Well maybe there is collective hope that no one will do it.:) Trimming and shaving a TAPCO stock that was designed for a thinner receiver with a different tang and in plastic on a rifle that is slant cut too???? bubba in the making IMHO..., it deserves some wood. This mod does not have much popularity.., I don't think. But.., your rifle..., your choice.:) My .02 cents.:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:) I have the same 2 cents and I give it to others. Rifles are steel and wood. This would be my first reluctant step into plastic land. It's not really bubba if it can be undone right? Ok, well maybe semi bubba.

You are correct of course, it does deserve some wood. I'm just thinking practical and cheap and fast to get this thing shooting again. It was a Katrina victim that I've restored. The wood that was on it is ruined from soaking in salt/sludge water. As a testament to the AK's indestructability the metal is in amazingly fine shape. I worked on some other guns that were beyond hope (moslty 50's-70's commercial hunting rifles) where the finish was completley removed and the steel was etched so deeply it looked like terimes ate into it. Different steels did different things. The AK steel was only surface rusted and much of the blue remianed in tact after it was cleaned.

I promise to the collective group that I will not put plastic on this rifle.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts