Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Have a pair of the "pocket models" The only difference is the barrel length! You would need some very STRONG pockets to hold them!

Now there is a difference in the cartridges. .44M&H and .44-40 are two different rounds. The cases are the same, but the Merwin bullet is smaller in diameter. Had to get a swaging die from C&H to reduce the diameter of the bullets a few thou so I could use it in both guns. Found that out when I tried loading one of them as the cartridge would only go halfway into the cylinder.

Loading is normal BUT extraction is quite different. A small lever is pressed at the front of the frame and the barrel and cylinder are pulled forward off the empties

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had several. I much prefer the "frontier" model. There are three cartridges available in the large frame. 44 WCF, 44 Russian and 44 MH. The cartridges for the 44 MH can be made from 9.3 X 57R cases, lead projectiles can be cast from the 10.4? Montenegran molds. You can easily run above $300 to shoot one, for cases, special dies, and molds.
They will need to be shot with BP only, the pressure spike from smokeless powder could prove too much. For 44 WCF and 44 Russian size to .427. Note: the 44 MH is a nominal .424 and barrels "if not matching frame" should be checked for size.
Shooting: They handle very well with a natural fast pointing ability. Similar to the Colt Bisley or Colt New Service but better.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a medium frame 5" brl, in 38s&w, shoot it once a year at our small annual"Gun Appreciation" day where we "ammo-sexuals" (look it up) get the gueens and antiques out and shoot-it-up!
I use the same ammo as in my 38 Webleys and it functions and cycle smoothly. There is a little play in the cylinder but locks up tight considering it is 120+. Usually don't fire more than a couple dozen rounds but is as accurate as any other that we shoot, at 25 feet. Might sell if you'er intrested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.