Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,195 Posts
Ah - you do realize they don't let you just go wandering around the storage areas don't you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was there once back in '69 in the Air Force.
Flew there from Castle AFB, CA to scrounge up a couple of U3A's for our Aero Club.
Base Commander gave us a tour of the whole base. Fantastic place.
Probably cooler now with all the "newer" aircraft since I was there.

Regards, Hud

C

·
0 Posts
Was in Tucson about 4 years ago. There was a tour bus from Pima that toured the base and driver explained the different areas. Neat trip and definitely not expensive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Davis-Monthan and Pima

I've been to Davis-Monthan and Pima several times, starting way back in 1971 when I was on active duty. It's a great place to take a tour, unguided as we could back in the dark ages, or with a formal tour as you can arrange for today. D-M is worth the time and effort !!!!!

Pima is a smaller version of D-M, and it's a walking museum well worth the effort to go there. The restored bombers are worth the trip alone, as well as getting inside the presidential aircraft on display. Unlike D-M, Pima also has a nice collection of "the bad guys" too, as in MiGs!!! You'll also see some unusual birds, like the F-107 and the three engined Northrup cargo bird, and a few ancient seaplanes even. For those who like the four engine aircraft, Pima is a must, Super Connies, C54s, C-124, C-97, B-18 (a combat attempt at the C-47), all sorts of good things. This is making me want to go back to Tucson again!!

LLS

·
94,195 Posts
"Three engined Northrup cargo bird?" - period, rationale - do you know? I don't recognize that one at all. Guess I ought to hunt it up.

·
94,195 Posts
Makes sense to me that it is. That's another one I can't recall ever hearing of or knowing anything about. Lord there are a bunch of low-production obscure critters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Dad was in the aircraft industry for 40 yrs, and in a previous life I was an Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, and I never heard of it either.

Regards, Hud

·
Registered
150 Posts
C-125 Raider

Hey, thanks for the research, HUD. I couldn't find my book with the cool old and unusual airplanes to name the Northrup critter. Yep, that' the one at Pima. I almost fellover when I saw it squatting there in the sun. It is one strange looking aircraft, especially for it's vintage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was stationed there from 86-90 with the 836th CES, one of my duties was to grade and maintain the roads around all those planes and helicopters. Very interesting place that I hope to take my now 19 year old son to see, he was born at the base hospital :)

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,538 Posts
Great place

if you lke airplanes. As stated, the PIMA Air Museum has probably the most ONE OFF"S of any museum in the country, bar none. (and I've been to most). The bus tour is interesting, but you can't get off, (and the women whine a lot). Since they've started using the white spray ablative coatings, it's not a neat-o as it use to be. Still, a great trip, plan on spending the better part of a day between the two places. If I could convert slides to digital, I'd show you!!!!
Castle Air Force Abase museum is a good one too, sort of "out that way". Check their web site for their collection.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
You can tour Davis-Monthan using Google Earth....dang, big place and some oddities laying around..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts