Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 80 of 426 Posts
Hello to everyone I'm New to the Group!
Among other weapons, I have a Model 65-H&R Reising S#58xx No US Government Property Makings or USMC Markings Visible anywhere? Just curious am I missing them or where should they be stamped at? What a wonderful shooter it is. I shot this and won Many of our Local Club shooting matches back in the 80's and early 90's, and my nephews used it after me with the same results. Also have a Mossberg 144LSB .22, and a Vickers Empire .22. But theres nothing like the General.

Also notice Earlier in this thread there were some picture links posted, after I joined they went away? Why can't I veiw them now?

Reactions: hrt4me
All pix. were lost on this sight during the server change over.. Its too bad as well there were many great photos of mc-58's.. Basicly the mc-58 is a modified M-65. The real differance is the move of the safety to the triggerguard like an m1/m14.. As the m50 reising was no longer in use. The marine corp modified these rifle to replicate the m1/m14 rifle...The mc58 had a slightly larger stock and is shaped just like an m1...Other than that there is no real differance. Other than price of course.. M65's can be had any where 100-650 where mc58's seem to start at 1k and go up from there...

a commercial note.. there apears to be a few differant models called the' leather neck' I have a m165. it's basicly a m65 with a different front sight and stock. the rear sight styed the same. The m150 above is also called the 'leather neck' shares the receiver only.. I think this is where they used up the last batch of receivers..

IIRC, there are two H&R Leatherneck models. The Model 150 uses a barrel-mounted rear sight, while the Model 151 uses the Redfield receiver-mounted sight like the Model 65. I always thought the 165s were the ones made from leftover parts and the 150/151 were the new version with the nicer parts (though thinner barrel)

my m165 has 'leatherneck' stamped on the barrel. It seems early and has a ramped front sight with a lyman marked blade..F.O. you saw pictures of it as I had it for sale at point on the trader. I have a spare mc-58 stock I was going to drop it in...

Discussion starter · #66 ·
All pix. were lost on this sight during the server change over.. Its too bad as well there were many great photos of mc-58's.. Basicly the mc-58 is a modified M-65. The real differance is the move of the safety to the triggerguard like an m1/m14.. As the m50 reising was no longer in use. The marine corp modified these rifle to replicate the m1/m14 rifle...The mc58 had a slightly larger stock and is shaped just like an m1...Other than that there is no real differance. Other than price of course.. M65's can be had any where 100-650 where mc58's seem to start at 1k and go up from there...
I need to go in and repost all the pictures that were lost during the server change. I have them all so will try to do that. I think the software will allow we to edit and add the picutures.

Cass

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Hello to everyone I'm New to the Group!
Among other weapons, I have a Model 65-H&R Reising S#58xx No US Government Property Makings or USMC Markings Visible anywhere? Just curious am I missing them or where should they be stamped at? What a wonderful shooter it is. I shot this and won Many of our Local Club shooting matches back in the 80's and early 90's, and my nephews used it after me with the same results. Also have a Mossberg 144LSB .22, and a Vickers Empire .22. But theres nothing like the General.

Also notice Earlier in this thread there were some picture links posted, after I joined they went away? Why can't I veiw them now?
The H&R Mod 65's that were delivered to the USMC did not have any military markings. I have seen pictures of a few that are marked, but those were apparently added at some point.

Cass

I have 8964

Left for me by my dad. Actually was a bag of parts when I found it and put it together without any instructions or drawings (luckily it's not very complicated). Works great and is dead accurate. Took my son out for his first shooting with it yesterday. Got curious about it and found your forum. If you would like any info about it, let me know.

Regards,

Sirk

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Left for me by my dad. Actually was a bag of parts when I found it and put it together without any instructions or drawings (luckily it's not very complicated). Works great and is dead accurate. Took my son out for his first shooting with it yesterday. Got curious about it and found your forum. If you would like any info about it, let me know.

Regards,

Sirk
Sirk:

Yes, I'd like to hear more about it. What markings does it have on the reeiver?

There were two different types of receiver markings on the H&R MC-58 receivers. Both types are different from the earlier WWII era H&R Model 65 Reising trainers.

The two types are:

USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC.

and:

U.S. MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED

The earlier WWII trainers were marked:

MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

Thanks,
Cass

Sirk:

Yes, I'd like to hear more about it. What markings does it have on the reeiver?

There were two different types of receiver markings on the H&R MC-58 receivers. Both types are different from the earlier WWII era H&R Model 65 Reising trainers.

The two types are:

USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED

and:

U.S. MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED

The earlier WWII trainers were marked:

MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

Thanks,
Cass

Cass,

Looks like I have the first one.

Now, further up the barrel, it has another stamp:

USMC Property
Harrington & Richardson, Inc.
Worcester, Mass, U.S.A.
22 Cal Long Rifle Only

Sirk

Just a heads up on some information on the H&R 65 over on rimfirecentral.com. It's in the Military Trainer section.
There is a post with information about a "letter numbering dating system" by H&R. It states that H&R started stamping the barrel with the letter "A" in 1940 and continued therafter. So my H&R 65 serial # 1964 should be 1943 production date.
Any comments.

4-16-10 Update. Now the discussion says that the "letter" stamping was added to the serial number. And the author has no idea on the meaning of the "D" stamped on the barrel. Still a a unknown factor.

Cass and others interested in the MC-58:

Another MC-58 has surfaced. It was sold in the April 28, 2010 Cowan's Auction. The sale price was $1610. Serial number was 8349. Here is a link to the completed auction with a pic. I suspect that this was one of the MC-58s that were sold a few years ago by the CMP.

BTW, has anyone ever turned up an original manual for the MC-58, the TM-ORD-2000? I am still lookng for one.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sales_view_item.asp?ItemId=81209

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Charlie:

Thanks for the info. That was not one of the CMP sales from 2000 to 2004. I must have been from the DCM, club sales or just leakage.

Thanks,
Cass

Discussion starter · #76 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of a mint unissued MC-58 that was for sale. This was one of the ones sold by auction a few years ago by the CMP. This was actually the first one they sold by auction in 2000 and it brought $2,760.

Cass

I was pointed to this thread over in RimfireCentral, and I thought I would post some pics of my Mod65, as many of the original photos here seem to be lost.
I picked this one up this past weekend. It is serial # 47xx, and there is a "D" stamped on the barrel at the joint with the receiver. There are no military marks on the stock.

Discussion starter · #78 ·
boyt44:

Nice rifle. By the serial number that was definitely one of the WWII USMC rifles. It looks like the original finish that has browned some like many of them do. The parkerizing was a fairly thin finish that browned very easily. If you look under the stock the color is probably more like it would have looked overall. These rifles had no military marking on the stock or metal.

Most of the original pictures in the post were lost when they upgraded the servers here. I have all the pictures on my hard drive but for some reason i can reload them with the posts. I need to start a new thread and get them back as examples.

Cass

I am trying to locate an original Redfield rear sigtht for my Model 65. When I purchased it a couple of years ago. I learned that a previous owner had installed a Mossberg sight where the Redfield sight goes. The Mossberg sight works just fine, but I would rather have an original Redfield sight. Anyone have any sources for an original sight?

MC-58 Manual Examples

BTW, has anyone ever turned up an original manual for the MC-58, the TM-ORD-2000? I am still lookng for one.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sales_view_item.asp?ItemId=81209
Charlie,

TM-ORD-2000 covers operation, maintenance, and inspection of the MC-58. While I don't have one available to sell, I have one in my personal collection, and it is pictured below for reference.

David Albert Collection

Another MC-58 manual that exists is a Marine Corps Stock List, (SL-4-01423A), which shows and lists all parts for the rifle, along with their procurement stock numbers, for use in repair of the rifle. The example from my collection is pictured below.

David Albert Collection

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

61 - 80 of 426 Posts