Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 426 Posts
Let me try this again..are there any Model 65s that are NOT C&R right now? I know the 165 ran from 1947 to 1961, and the MC-58 is kind of obvious.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Let me try this again..are there any Model 65s that are NOT C&R right now? I know the 165 ran from 1947 to 1961, and the MC-58 is kind of obvious.
No. I referred to the picture only because the Model MC-58 also has the words "Model #65 Modified" stamped on the receiver and that sometimes causes confusion.

Cass

New to this rifle

I just picked up one of these in Tulsa last week. The serial is in the 6500 range. It has the USMC markings, safety like the Garand, I would rate finish 97% or better. Bolt has a little speckle to it. ( I have not tried to clean it ). The stock has a small DOD acceptance stamp on the inside of the pistol grip? Would the stamp be right? The stock is perfect and appears original to the gun. Does anyone know when it would have been made? It also had a garand sling on it. Web that is. I am new to these rifles and any information would be great.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I just picked up one of these in Tulsa last week. The serial is in the 6500 range. It has the USMC markings, safety like the Garand, I would rate finish 97% or better. Bolt has a little speckle to it. ( I have not tried to clean it ). The stock has a small DOD acceptance stamp on the inside of the pistol grip? Would the stamp be right? The stock is perfect and appears original to the gun. Does anyone know when it would have been made? It also had a garand sling on it. Web that is. I am new to these rifles and any information would be great.
Hello tut1559:

It sounds like you found a nice one. The MC-58 stocks are the ones that had the DOD stamp. The earlier Mod 65 stocks were unmarked.

That serial number is at the lower end of the range. They ran up to about 9500. The bolts were "in the white", so its common to see them with some speckling even on unissued rifles. The extractors can also rust in place.

They were made in the late 50's, 1958 and 1959. They were introduced at the time the M14 rifles were introduced.

I'll send you an e-mail too.

Thanks,
Cass

Model 65's are C&R

No. I referred to the picture only because the Model MC-58 also has the words "Model #65 Modified" stamped on the receiver and that sometimes causes confusion.

Cass
Fushigi Ojisan,

Cass is correct. Model 65's are C&R. I have corresponded with ATF on this subject, and they also confirmed C&R status.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Reactions: hrt4me
Confused a bit. Did only the 58s have the safety in the trigger guard? Also saw one with "APG" stamped on it. Meaning?
vintovka,

Yes, only the MC-58's have the Garand style safety in the trigger guard. Although I've never seen one marked "APG," it's likely to stand for "Aberdeen Proving Ground."

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Reactions: hrt4me
Cass, Spotted another Mod 65 for your records however, this one is a bit strange. Standard Mod 65 markings except that right above the reciever markings it is stamped "USMC property" using what looks like standard die stamps. Two things that were on the down side. Someone had drilled and tapped it for a scope along the left side of the barrel (had to take a small bit of the stock out to fit). The two holes are drilled so the "22 long rifle" is centered in between them. The other thing that was on the down side was the price for the condition at $800 plus. Serial #15518. Seems like a high number for USMC use?

Cass, Spotted another Mod 65 for your records however, this one is a bit strange. Standard Mod 65 markings except that right above the reciever markings it is stamped "USMC property" using what looks like standard die stamps. Two things that were on the down side. Someone had drilled and tapped it for a scope along the left side of the barrel (had to take a small bit of the stock out to fit). The two holes are drilled so the "22 long rifle" is centered in between them. The other thing that was on the down side was the price for the condition at $800 plus. Serial #15518. Seems like a high number for USMC use?
type-14,

Any chance of posting a picture of the "USMC Property" marking on your Model 65? I'd like to document it and compare it to my Model 65 NM with a "USMC" marking.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

My "Civilian" Version - H&R Leatherneck Model 150

Those are nice. I would like to have one of the US Issued ones; I have a Model 150 Leatherneck, the civilian version by H&R. Here's a few photos of the civvie:

I have too many guns...heh heh heh

Dabert, sorry not mine. Saw it at a local show and due to the price and drilling for a scope I left it on the seller's table.

Eureka! After 6 months of toil by me and 3 gunsmiths, I finally have my Model 65 up and running like a clock!
When I purchase it, the rear sight had been "hit" such that the adjustment screws would no longer turn. I sent that off to the "rear sight doctor" to be straightened up and fixed. Also the rifle refused to cycle 2 rounds consecutively-ever. My attempt to diagnosis the problem was without success. Gunsmith # 1 said he fixed it and it shot fine for him but never would for me. I came close to selling it at this point. However I tried another gunsmith this past weekend and by gosh he fixed it! I shot several magazines through it without a hitch. For what it's worth, he said there were was discernable roughness to the bolt face which prevented the base of the next round from sliding up and seating properly. He carefully smoothed the bolt face and that solved the problem.
The gun is immaculate so I figure the bolt face issue must have always existed and the gun must not have ever been fired much.
I probably have more gunsmith money in this rifle than what it is worth but that is no longer important. I'm excited about getting it up and running and am now curious at how well it will shoot. For those interested, the serial # on mine is 17190, has all the early pre-1947 features and is parkerized (it now has that greenish tinge to it).

Also a question: Is the barrel and receiver one piece or two pieces? Is the barrel screwed into the receiver?
Thanks!
Kim

My dad's Mod 65

Hello, my name is Doug Farrell from So Cal and I just found this site. I'm posting because I have un-earthed my dads Korean war target rifle. The last time it was fired was by me, in 1976. It has been lost, found, lost, and found again due to moving several times. But I have always held onto it and I have always had it in a rifle case.
I know nothing about this rifle. It seems to be in tact but I seem to be missing the mag(can't even remember how many rounds it holds). I'd like to get a couple of them if they are available.
The barrel has this stamped next to the three site dials:

MOD 65-H & R Reising 22 CAL
Harrington and Richardson Arms Co.
Worchestor, MASS USA

The serial# is 17142

Is there a way to find out when it was manufactured? My dad served in '50-'51. Any special hidden spots to look for? What is the big screw for in front where the mag goes in? It also has a sling that is in great shape. The whole rifle looks to be in great shape.

I am not looking to sell it but to get it back to operating order. It worked great in '76...25 years after it was in service.

Any help or guidance would be apprecated. I remember it being really heavy when I was 16. Not so much anymore at 49.

Thanks,

Doug
P.S. I can post pictures

You H&R 65 was probaly made at the end of WW11. The H&R 65 was a training rifle for USMC. Somewhere it was written about serial number 17,000 is thought to be the cut off serial number for military guns. There are no records known. So yours could be and it could not be military. In 1945 H&R started selling remaining Models 65 to civilians.
You should be able to get magazines from Dave McWhorter sales in Mich, 260-962-0214. clipgrip@aol.com Good luck.

Thank you for your information. My goal is to have this rifle in top firing order so I can take my dad to the firing range for his birthday while he can still shoot straight. I know he hasn't seen the rifle in at least 40 years and hasn't fired any firearm since the war.
Doug

There is a posting over on milsup.com under .22 Smallbore rifles about a H&R 65 USMC "Rat-Gun". Posted as a H&R 65 Trainer during WW11 with a silencer on it to shoot rats in the garbage dumps in the South Seas Islands. Anyone ever heard of this?

Model 65

I just found a nice MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A. at a local flea market it is in great condition unfortunately someone tapped a old weaver scope and frame on side. other than that excellent wood clean no rust or other damage. i removed buttplate it it stamped on wood B-400 serial Number 5746 i paid 120.00 for it. i sort of knew it was military this wonderfull website confirmed it. I am now in the market for the correct peep site for it ! does anyone here know from the serial number range the age of this? thanks Carlos

41 - 60 of 426 Posts