Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 426 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Hi Charlie:

Orest told me that they had received 70-75 of them. They auctioned most of them and were planning to save one or more for their planned museum. I saved the auction info on a number of them.

Which type of markings does your rifle have? Could you send me the data?

Thanks,
Cass

Hi Cass:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I would be happy to send you the data. Don't have it handy here at work but will try to get it for you tonight.

BTW, do you (or anyone else here) have any ideas on where I might be able to secure TM-ORD-2000 which I understand is the Tech Manual for the MC-58?

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Hello again, Cass:

My MC-58 rifle has the following markings:

USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC.

It is serial numbered 8868.

Hope that helps you. I am searching for the TM-ORD-2000 and if I can find more than one the second one will be for you.

Best regards,
Charlie Flick

Great looking rifles! I am currently working on a M165 that needed alot of TLC.
I found an NOS MC-58 stock and decided to do a replica.
I removed the front sight ramp and modified an original sight to fit the slightly thinner barrel.
I have mocked up out of aluminum a safety to see how it functioned.
My questions are, Is the safety held on/off by a detent?
How long is the MC-58 trigger from the pin to the tip?
Any info would be greatly appriciated!
Current and before pic.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Looks good!

From the center of the trigger pin to the tip of the trigger is almost exactly 2". The safety is held in position by a detent on the rear of the trigger base. You can see the detent ball in the picture.

Cass

Sirs:

I am new to the forum, and found it through a google search. I am researching information on a rifle left to me by my father, and it appears to be a .22 of the type discussed in this thread. The markings are similar to this one mentioned above:

U.S. MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC

I don't have the rifle in front of me, but if I recall it is in the serial # range 6xxx. It has the green mesh sling and 1 mag.

I do not want to sell it but curious about value for insurance purposes, as well as whether I should use it or just store it? I imagine the value is around $4-500 based on other things I've seen but cannot be certain. It doesn't appear to be one of the more rare versions based on what i've read.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

BTW, great thread with good information and pictures...

Edit to add and correct -- The serial # is in the 9xxx range. Also there is what appears to be a series of digits in grease pencil markings on one side of the rifle near the butt and a stenciled #4 in yellow. Otherwise all appears to be in great shape.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Chris:

I just saw your post as well as your other post with the pictures. Nice rifle!

I'm glad you found the forum. That is one of the reasons I have all the pictures and used every possible search term I could in the title, ha!

There were fewer of the U.S. Property marked rifles than the USMC marked, so you do have a rare version. All of the MC-58's bring a fairly high price. I have seen them run from about $650 (with some missing parts or other issues) up to over $2700 for a new in the box rifles at a Civilian Marksmanship auction. For insurance I would use from $1,000 to $1,500.

Since this is not a mint rifle, a little shooting won't hurt it at all.

Cass

Just got the one I've had for years sitting in a gun sock all cleaned up. Here's some pics of the first. Just have to find a magazine and a rear sight and I'll be good to go.

Found a "Department Of Interior" sticker with a number underneath th e buttplate. What in the world is this? Said somehting like Fisheries and Game or something.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Taurus:

I'd say that rifle cleaned up real well. That sounds like an interesting tag. Can you post a picture of the tag?

I sent you a PM with some possible sources on the parts.

Thanks,
Cass

I seen your post on the tag under the butt plate. So I checked two of my three rifles. Under the USMC Model 65 MC-58 I found nothing. Under one of my Model 65 butt plate I found that someone drilled two 3/4 inch holes and had placed seven Winchester .22LR rounds in each hole for total of 14 rounds total. Interesting.

I found that someone drilled two 3/4 inch holes and had placed seven Winchester .22LR rounds in each hole for total of 14 rounds total. Interesting.
This is actually quite common practice on wood stock .22's. Obviously not a good idea in hindsight, but for a rifle that you would be taking camping, hiking, or just generally out in the woods, this ensures you always have ammo on hand incase of an emergency.

Yea here you go Cass. Havn't had a chance to track down any parts for this thing.
I just noticed this thread - that sticker is very familiar :D It was used by what's now known as the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, back when they had a branch called the Bureau of Sport Fisheries & Wildlife. This branch existed between 1956 when it was created and 1970 when it was transferred to the Department of Commerce and renamed the National Marine Fisheries Service. So that sticker was applied to the rifle sometime between those years, when it was registered in a field office's inventory. I'm guessing it was used by FWS employees as part of their daily job, for controlling pests on a National Wildlife Refuge or for collecting biological samples for research. Interesting!

Can someone please confirm that the H&R Model 65 (not in the USMC block) are indeed
Curio & Relic firearms now?

21 - 40 of 426 Posts