Gunboards Forums banner

Harrington and Richardson H&R MC-58 Model 65 Modified (USMC .22 Trainer)

183K views 425 replies 86 participants last post by  Cass 
Eureka! After 6 months of toil by me and 3 gunsmiths, I finally have my Model 65 up and running like a clock!
When I purchase it, the rear sight had been "hit" such that the adjustment screws would no longer turn. I sent that off to the "rear sight doctor" to be straightened up and fixed. Also the rifle refused to cycle 2 rounds consecutively-ever. My attempt to diagnosis the problem was without success. Gunsmith # 1 said he fixed it and it shot fine for him but never would for me. I came close to selling it at this point. However I tried another gunsmith this past weekend and by gosh he fixed it! I shot several magazines through it without a hitch. For what it's worth, he said there were was discernable roughness to the bolt face which prevented the base of the next round from sliding up and seating properly. He carefully smoothed the bolt face and that solved the problem.
The gun is immaculate so I figure the bolt face issue must have always existed and the gun must not have ever been fired much.
I probably have more gunsmith money in this rifle than what it is worth but that is no longer important. I'm excited about getting it up and running and am now curious at how well it will shoot. For those interested, the serial # on mine is 17190, has all the early pre-1947 features and is parkerized (it now has that greenish tinge to it).

Also a question: Is the barrel and receiver one piece or two pieces? Is the barrel screwed into the receiver?
Thanks!
Kim

Hi Paul, I have a model 65 as well, serialed 17190. I'm curious how close mine is to yours!
Kim

I bought a H&R model 65 this past weekend #17xxx and I have noticed that the later 65's do not have the two stock bolts in the forend? My gun does not have the bolts, if not the USMC where did these higher number 65's go to?

As I've mentioned above, I also have a model 65. I've looked at it closely but can't tell if the barrel is screwed into the receiver or if the receiver and barrel are milled from one piece of steel.
Anybody know?
Lim