Gunboards Forums banner

Harrington and Richardson H&R MC-58 Model 65 Modified (USMC .22 Trainer)

183K views 425 replies 86 participants last post by  Cass 
#1 · (Edited)
I had posted some pictures and a request for information on the old boards, looking for any information and data on the H&R MC-58 trainers that were used by the USMC. A lot of people have contacted me with questions and information because of those posts, so I thought I would transfer some of the info over to the new Boards.

I'm specifically looking for information about the serial numbers and markings for the MC-58 rifles.

Most sources indicate that there were less than 3500 of these rifles made for the USMC with serial numbers running from about 6,000 through 9,500. They were an update of the MOD 65 H&R Reising procured for the USMC during WWII. The most noticeable difference was the relocation of the safety from the right side of the receiver to the front of the trigger guard to better simulate the operation to the M1 and M14 rifles.

I'd like to hear from any of you that have MC-58's.

Thanks,
Cass

There were two different types of receiver markings on the H&R MC-58 receivers. Both types are different from the earlier WWII era H&R Model 65 Reising trainers.

The two types are:

USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC.

and:

U.S. MODEL MC-58
H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC.

The earlier WWII trainers were marked:

MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

The USMC marked MC-58 rifles I have recorded seem to run in the earlier serial number range and the US in the later numbers.

I have US and USMC marked Remington 40X's from about the same time period, so they had apparently begun to require different marking around that time.

The first picture is of the USMC PROPERTY type marking.

The second picture is the US MODEL MC-58 type marking.

For comparison the third picture shows the WWII era Model 65 Reising markings.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
I was asked about the differences between the Mod 65 and the later MC-58. The biggest difference is the M1/M14 type safety. Here are a few differences I have noticed in the MC-58:

- Safety location including lever, slotted trigger guard, and indents and safe/fire markings on receiver
- stock shape thicker with flatter areas along edge of receiver and DoD stamp
- bolt "in the white" rather than blued
- magazine release tab is flat rather than curved shape
- disconnector that engages sear is two piece with a "beak" shaped end piece added
- parkerized finish is rougher and darker
- receiver and barrel legend

There may be some others.

Cass

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Hello emmagee1917, welcome aboard! This forum has been a little slow since the new forum software change, but has been pretty lively for the prior 10 years or so.

I haven't had much problem with the feeding on mine. I have had the extractor stick on some of mine. That seems to be a fairly common problem. I usually take the entire action apart and let the parts soak in a solvent, then re-oil with a very light oil.

Cass

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I'm still keeping a list of the MC-58 serial numbers and markings. If any of you have MC-58's or see them I'd appreciate you noting the information.

Thanks,
Cass

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Hi Charlie:

Orest told me that they had received 70-75 of them. They auctioned most of them and were planning to save one or more for their planned museum. I saved the auction info on a number of them.

Which type of markings does your rifle have? Could you send me the data?

Thanks,
Cass

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Looks good!

From the center of the trigger pin to the tip of the trigger is almost exactly 2". The safety is held in position by a detent on the rear of the trigger base. You can see the detent ball in the picture.

Cass

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Chris:

I just saw your post as well as your other post with the pictures. Nice rifle!

I'm glad you found the forum. That is one of the reasons I have all the pictures and used every possible search term I could in the title, ha!

There were fewer of the U.S. Property marked rifles than the USMC marked, so you do have a rare version. All of the MC-58's bring a fairly high price. I have seen them run from about $650 (with some missing parts or other issues) up to over $2700 for a new in the box rifles at a Civilian Marksmanship auction. For insurance I would use from $1,000 to $1,500.

Since this is not a mint rifle, a little shooting won't hurt it at all.

Cass

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Taurus:

I'd say that rifle cleaned up real well. That sounds like an interesting tag. Can you post a picture of the tag?

I sent you a PM with some possible sources on the parts.

Thanks,
Cass