Gunboards Forums banner

Harrington and Richardson H&R MC-58 Model 65 Modified (USMC .22 Trainer)

183K views 425 replies 86 participants last post by  Cass 
I seen your post on the tag under the butt plate. So I checked two of my three rifles. Under the USMC Model 65 MC-58 I found nothing. Under one of my Model 65 butt plate I found that someone drilled two 3/4 inch holes and had placed seven Winchester .22LR rounds in each hole for total of 14 rounds total. Interesting.

You H&R 65 was probaly made at the end of WW11. The H&R 65 was a training rifle for USMC. Somewhere it was written about serial number 17,000 is thought to be the cut off serial number for military guns. There are no records known. So yours could be and it could not be military. In 1945 H&R started selling remaining Models 65 to civilians.
You should be able to get magazines from Dave McWhorter sales in Mich, 260-962-0214. clipgrip@aol.com Good luck.

There is a posting over on milsup.com under .22 Smallbore rifles about a H&R 65 USMC "Rat-Gun". Posted as a H&R 65 Trainer during WW11 with a silencer on it to shoot rats in the garbage dumps in the South Seas Islands. Anyone ever heard of this?

Just a heads up on some information on the H&R 65 over on rimfirecentral.com. It's in the Military Trainer section.
There is a post with information about a "letter numbering dating system" by H&R. It states that H&R started stamping the barrel with the letter "A" in 1940 and continued therafter. So my H&R 65 serial # 1964 should be 1943 production date.
Any comments.

4-16-10 Update. Now the discussion says that the "letter" stamping was added to the serial number. And the author has no idea on the meaning of the "D" stamped on the barrel. Still a a unknown factor.