Gunboards Forums banner

Harrington and Richardson H&R MC-58 Model 65 Modified (USMC .22 Trainer)

183K views 425 replies 86 participants last post by  Cass 
PM sent with number spotted this past weekend. Thanks for gettng back up with me.

Cass, Spotted another Mod 65 for your records however, this one is a bit strange. Standard Mod 65 markings except that right above the reciever markings it is stamped "USMC property" using what looks like standard die stamps. Two things that were on the down side. Someone had drilled and tapped it for a scope along the left side of the barrel (had to take a small bit of the stock out to fit). The two holes are drilled so the "22 long rifle" is centered in between them. The other thing that was on the down side was the price for the condition at $800 plus. Serial #15518. Seems like a high number for USMC use?

Dabert, sorry not mine. Saw it at a local show and due to the price and drilling for a scope I left it on the seller's table.

Cass,
Was at a get together this weekend and meet a gent with Mod 65 Serial #7818. If you need any more info let me know as I can contact him. Also, his rifle is missing the complete bolt retainer assembly (bar, slide, screws etc) do you know where he can find these parts as he want to get back into good order.

Thanks
Dale

Dalbert, so that is where that one got off too. I was watching it and watching it just couldn't spring loose the funds. That is a great addition to your collection. I have never seen the matchbooks before, thanks for sharing them with us.

Cass,
Picked up another Mod 65 today and wanted to get the info to you. Serial #17365, condition is around 85-88%, is a blued model, no letter on top of barrel by receiver and no cross over bolts. Have not taken it down to check for other features but expect the find the normal configuration. It does have the slimmer stock. This is a new configuration for me so my collection of Reising rifles continues. Funny that I have #13089 and it is parkerized and have the thicker stock and cross over bolts.

Also, want to add a comment about the ad for the "the General". I also have a copy that isn't in the best shape but is from the "outdoors magazine" and is dated November 1944.

Hope this helps.
Dale

Cass,
Added another one to the collection this week. Model 65 #9574, parkerized, has thick stock with two cross over bolts. “T” on top of barrel with “S” on bottom of barrel, 95% plus. Bolt catch and safety could be replacements but hard to tell.

Been reading the thread concerning the mags and the removal of "Reising." Tom-M, Are the mags you are referring to and showing only the blued mags and not any of the parkerized mags?

That is some really good information and your sheet is easy to read for sure. Based on the limited number of M151's observed that helps explain why it is has been so hard for me to find one for my collection.

Just flat out super collection!! What else could you be looking for to add to it?

Thought you all might enjoy this old ad I ran across. The write up for the Mod 65 just misses the mark when compared to the photo of the one on the page (note stock and front sight cover) and you just have to love those prices.

Attachments

Wanted to give David Albert a big thumps up for his well written article on "The H&R "Reising" Model 65 .22 Rifle" in the latest edition of the Garand Collectors Association (GCA) Vol 29 - Issue 3 Summer 2015. Very informative to say the least and likely to draw a new interest in the rifles from a few folks. :thumbsup:

What am I missing? This one looks like a late commercial Model 65 that has been reparkerized to me.
Concur it's a late date for sure that has been reparked. Just goes to show that some folks have too many dollars and and not any sense.

Wait till you and your son in law get it the range, the fun never ends until you run out of ammo. Just great shooters and no wonder why the Marine Corps used them.

+1 with Cass. I'm not sure how the fit would be but the model 150 and some early 151's came with a checkered stock. The chances are slim but maybe you can find one and see how the fit would be.

I was bidding on it, but lost out way below the hammer price. I could not believe the sold price when I saw it. I was thinking they just missed typed in the final price and that it really was $1925.00, which still a good deal in my book.

The MC-58's were packaged with the "Boyt" leather sling. MC-58 for many of us IMHO.

Seabee, I won't hang my hat on the N.T.C. meaning Navy Training Center, at least not yet. BTW I love these little rifles.

Reactions: A Seabee