Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A used Colt gold cup series 70 in excellent cosmetic condition, I assume excellent mechanical condition for 900.00
A brand new RIA Tactical match for 700.00

which one would you buy ? I want it for target shooting and occasional CC
Is it true if you drop a series 70 Gold Cup and it lands on the hammer it can fire a round ?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello Rebs. I'd say that's a tough choice. The 70's Gold cup is more of a "classic." They usually aren't cheap. The RIA would give you the same package (more or less) for alot less money AND you get a brand new pistol. You probably couldn't loose either way!

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Research that Colt some more before you buy it.

Colt was turning out some pretty nasty cr*p guns in the 1970's. In the day, new and used series 70 Colts were getting so bad (and the reputation followed them) they were becoming hard to sell.

This may or may not be one of them.

It took them quite a bit if time and effort to reverse that perception.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Tough call

Do I want a 1970s ML500 Benz or a new Ford F250?
More like "Do I want a 1970s ML500 Benz or a brand new 1970 ML500 Benz, but with a Hyundai emblem?" :p

BTW IF the Colt hasn't been messed with it should have the same safety provisions as any 1911A1. If its worn or someone replaced the hammer with one without the so-called "half cock" notch, then it could be dangerous. To prevent accidental firing, aside from the grip and thumb safties, the 1911 design depends on the firing pin spring, pin inertia, plus the half cock notch to catch the hammer in case of a broken sear or broken full cock notch.

Also, it may have been built during one of Colt's bad days, when to save money they fired the best gunsmiths they had, and even farmed out the custom shop work. Please check it carefully.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,636 Posts
I don't like the Series 70 and later Colt Government (and Gold Cup) models. Once they started fiddling iwth JMB's design, they added complication and reduced utility IMO. So unless you are just eaten up with the Colt emblems and markings, I'd probably go with the RIA.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
RIA has been around for some time and its products have been better than the Springfield and Colt models in similar trim, according to those reviews.
It seems like RIA (Armscor, Phillippines) is now so established that some importers are switching to cheaper brands like "Shooter's Arms"

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,560 Posts
I Have two RIAs one their tactical match. I personally think the Taurus PT 1911 for a little more money is a better buy. The RIAs are OK but parts will be worn out after 1000 or so rounds.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't like the Series 70 and later Colt Government (and Gold Cup) models. Once they started fiddling iwth JMB's design, they added complication and reduced utility IMO. So unless you are just eaten up with the Colt emblems and markings, I'd probably go with the RIA.
I mostly agree with this, but my wife picked out a recent gold cup for hers, she liked the reduced weight of it. It has been a fine gun, only a few thousand thru it yet as it is only about 2 years old, but no problems of any sort.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Get both, it's the only way to avoid those agonizing "if only" wistful-eyed stories later in life (DAMHIKT). :) That said, I'd get the Colt Gold Cup first, they come up very rarely these days at those sorts of prices, from what I've seen, and you can pick up the RIA match (for more money, doubtless) down the road still.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.