Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up off of gunbroker the other day and am waiting for the big brown truck to arrive!! Probably won't be here until Tuesday but I couldn't wait to post my acquisition!! I am so excited! I already have a 36 and now the "semi-version". French arms are so underestimated in my opinion. I guess I have to save my pennies to start a fund for a 44 and a 49 too!! So far I think I now have the best of each...bolt action and semi-auto!!

I bought a 49/56 (with a mirror bore according to the seller) with 1 mag and 100 rounds of modern (non-surplus) ammo for $300. Figuring no bayonet and only 1 mag I think I did a little better than average if the condition pans out.

These pictures are from the seller.

Now I need to find an english version of the service manual so I can figure out how to break it down and understand the ins and outs. If anyone has a link to one I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats! I just bought a new 49/56 myself this afternoon from a local man who is getting out of the "foreign" military weapon collection business, paying a little bit more than you did. I did get with mine 4 magazines, 150 rounds of French Military surplus, and 25 stripper clips.

I have just fallen in love with these French guns! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
You got a great deal. The 49/56 is a world-class rifle, and we are fortunate that it, along with the others in the MAS series, are so underrated in the shooting and collecting community. A Garand in similar condition would have cost three times as much, would be ten times less rare, and would not shoot or handle any better.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Owww, now you're gonna have to go out and track down all the MAS 49/56 goodies! Breech cover, bayonet, BFA, cleaning kit, night sight and the biggie; an APX L806 scope (or get a KVAR mount and a Hensoldt scope). Congratulations, I know you're gonna enjoy it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.