Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's 100 yrs old now.

Can't believe such a momentous day was overlooked on this board. :)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,859 Posts
You mean they haven't turned her rusting hulk into razorblades yet? Last I heard they could hardly pump fast enough to keep her off the bottom.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh oh, Wylie...Clyde's gonna take exception to that. :)

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,291 Posts
Uh oh, Wylie...Clyde's gonna take exception to that. :)
Can't object to a statement of objective fact. Hull is indeed in bad shape and doing a lot of leaking. I doubt that the ship is afloat, by the way - last i heard she was aground in the slip. enough silt and mud having washed in to insure that even if she hasn't lost enough free-board from flooding to have that result.

If the State of Texas doesn't get its a$$ in gear and DO SOMETHING about dry-berthing, $crap her fate.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
I was aboard the Texas a few months ago while visiting relatives in La Porte (near where's she's berthed). They are indeed trying to dry berth the ship. Plans, designs and fundraising is ongoing now. They even issued 1000 colt commemorative 1911's with Texas emblems and ship images. They are incredibly nice but at $1700 each, I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a gun I couldn't shoot. I ended up donating towards 1911 grips made from USS Texas decking.

If you are so inclined, you can read more and even donate here: www.battleshiptexas.org/‎

·
99,291 Posts
I was aboard the Texas a few months ago while visiting relatives in La Porte (near where's she's berthed). They are indeed trying to dry berth the ship. Plans, designs and fundraising is ongoing now. They even issued 1000 colt commemorative 1911's with Texas emblems and ship images. They are incredibly nice but at $1700 each, I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a gun I couldn't shoot. I ended up donating towards 1911 grips made from USS Texas decking.

If you are so inclined, you can read more and even donate here: www.battleshiptexas.org/‎
All of the various commemorative items (1911A1s, grips, pens and razors from deck-wood) are listed as sold out or out of stock. For some reason your link wouldn't work, though it seems to be the correct URL.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am going to have to donate a bit of $$ as that is the first ship my father was stationed on when he joined the navy in 1926.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
Yep, Clyde you're right. Not sure why that gives the error. You can get to the shop/donate page from there,though. Unfortunately, they are sold out on a lot of the cool items. My brother in law bought one of the 1911's so at least I get to see one up close.

RudyN, my Great Uncle was a fire control man, 1st class (FC1) aboard the Texas late in WWII. I toured the boat many times in the 80's and 90's, taking pics for him, but we were never able to get him down here from Ohio. He passed on in 2013.

T

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
Very nice. Wish I could have made it out to Houston for the anniversary. They did an amazing job getting her spruced up. This is a shot I took under the forward battery last november. Decking was still being stripped and the overall paint job was pretty rough.

T

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
One of the few that I've been on....went on it in 1975 when I last visited Houston. Hopefully, the will be able to refloat her and get her dryberthed.

·
99,291 Posts
One of the few that I've been on....went on it in 1975 when I last visited Houston. Hopefully, the will be able to refloat her and get her dryberthed.
Not many BBs around to visit. Massachusetts; New Jersey; Wisconsin; North Carolina; Alabama; Texas; Iowa (or at least in prep); and Missouri. And if you can get to Japan, the pre-Dread Mikasa.... that is eight post-Dreadnoughts (four from one class), all USN survivors, plus the singleton pre-Dread, British-built for the IJN, and a most historic vessel.

If they get the money together for dry-berthing, they will be able to float the Texas - be a matter of making sure they have plenty of pumping capacity on board and ready to run to handle leakage and then dredging the berth out.

·
99,291 Posts
One of the earliest surviving pre-dreadnought warships. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Huascar1.jpg

Now why can't we do the same with BB35?
Yes, but not really a battleship, even of the Pre-Dreadnought sort. But most historic and i am pleased she has survived. And of course there is the Warrior in Great Britain. Probably the most powerful warship afloat when commissioned, and easily the master of any of the US ironclads of the 1860s.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
Not many BBs around to visit. Massachusetts; New Jersey; Wisconsin; North Carolina; Alabama; Texas; Iowa (or at least in prep); and Missouri. And if you can get to Japan, the pre-Dread Mikasa.... that is eight post-Dreadnoughts (four from one class), all USN survivors, plus the singleton pre-Dread, British-built for the IJN, and a most historic vessel.

If they get the money together for dry-berthing, they will be able to float the Texas - be a matter of making sure they have plenty of pumping capacity on board and ready to run to handle leakage and then dredging the berth out.
When we went to St.Petersburg in 2000, got to see the Aurora, albeit, it it's not a battleship...decent sized cruiser..

·
99,291 Posts
Aurora was a protected cruiser IIRC, similar vintage and characteristics to our own Olympia. May have been an AC, but I don't think so. Could look, I guess. The things I once knew but have slipped from memory...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.