Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few of the old girls out to the range yesterday afternoon, and had a couple of very nice surprises.

Best of all...my 1907 ShtLE MkI***. After several old timers came by to admire the old beauty, allow as to how smooth and quick the actions of these old .303s are (mind you, this is a club where it had better say "US" on it if it's a military rifle, or it's not much worth talking about), and how the Germans thought they were under machine gun fire...I set to blazing away.

I wasn't expecting much, since the gent I'd bought her off of said he couldn't get her to group, but I was very pleasantly surprised! As long as I used 174 or 180gr ammo, I got steady sub 3 MOA groups out of her. Didn't do nearly as well with 150gr, but then I have yet to find a rifle in my collection that likes them. Not bad at all for a 100 year old.

I'll also be very surprised if I can't eventually squeeze 1 MOA out of the Maltby once I find the right load, and get new spectacles. That thing can really shoot!

And finally...next time, I believe I'll shoot the No.5 at the beginning of a 3 hour range session. :D

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shooting Jarhead come over to OZ and we can have some range time and give the old girls a bit of a stretch.
That would be a treat. I've got some relatives in Queensland that need visiting, and the rifle ranges around here leave a bit to be desired.

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actualy, "happiness is a warm machine gun"
To be absolutely accurate..."Happiness is a belt fed weapon." A fact I know to be true. :D ;)

I feel for you Swaffield...the only time I've ever even heard of beech splitting was someone talking about an out of battery discharge with a Garand. That would be a real heartbreaker.

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd gladly vote to change the phrase to..."Happiness is simply owning a Lewis gun (or a Bren for that matter)". A very nice Lewis gun was up for sale recently...unfortunately not an option where I live. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.