Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few of the old girls out to the range yesterday afternoon, and had a couple of very nice surprises.

Best of all...my 1907 ShtLE MkI***. After several old timers came by to admire the old beauty, allow as to how smooth and quick the actions of these old .303s are (mind you, this is a club where it had better say "US" on it if it's a military rifle, or it's not much worth talking about), and how the Germans thought they were under machine gun fire...I set to blazing away.

I wasn't expecting much, since the gent I'd bought her off of said he couldn't get her to group, but I was very pleasantly surprised! As long as I used 174 or 180gr ammo, I got steady sub 3 MOA groups out of her. Didn't do nearly as well with 150gr, but then I have yet to find a rifle in my collection that likes them. Not bad at all for a 100 year old.

I'll also be very surprised if I can't eventually squeeze 1 MOA out of the Maltby once I find the right load, and get new spectacles. That thing can really shoot!

And finally...next time, I believe I'll shoot the No.5 at the beginning of a 3 hour range session. :D

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hey Jrhead, great work....

but this bit is good....'I took a couple of old girls out to the range and got some very nice surprises'.....
wow...the posts on this forum are sure getting interesting....

And yes, good shooting...ya can always tell an ex Marine... :)

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
Nice shooting Jarhead come over to OZ and we can have some range time and give the old girls a bit of a stretch;).

Whiterider this is the only things you "shoot" :eek:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shooting Jarhead come over to OZ and we can have some range time and give the old girls a bit of a stretch.
That would be a treat. I've got some relatives in Queensland that need visiting, and the rifle ranges around here leave a bit to be desired.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds great, jarhead. Personally, I hesitate to shoot my nice Mk IIIs and I. I took my 1916 BSA (FTR) out last summer and after about ten or so rounds, the forestock started splitting at the buttsocket end. That did it for me. :( It was beech, though - I'm sure yours is walnut. I can't figure it. It wasn't dry. It was fitted correctly. There was evidence that it was shot before.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,620 Posts
Swaffield, I'd guess that's pretty rare among milsurps. Probably just the luck of the draw with that particular piece of wood. Likely the result of many years of humidity and dryness, hot and cold, etc. I'd hate to think I couldn't shoot any of my rifles for fear of ruining them.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actualy, "happiness is a warm machine gun"
To be absolutely accurate..."Happiness is a belt fed weapon." A fact I know to be true. :D ;)

I feel for you Swaffield...the only time I've ever even heard of beech splitting was someone talking about an out of battery discharge with a Garand. That would be a real heartbreaker.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd gladly vote to change the phrase to..."Happiness is simply owning a Lewis gun (or a Bren for that matter)". A very nice Lewis gun was up for sale recently...unfortunately not an option where I live. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts