Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I finally got a chance to take the rifle out of its stock and check it over thoroughly. The receiver is an Izhevsk, but I can't tell what year, only that a "3" is involved:

Here's a shot of the barrel manufacturer stamping:

Found a number matching the barrel's CG number stamped under the buttplate:

Considering the fact that the rifle is in an M27 stock, I was surprised to find this-was it a common practice for postwar refurbs with "repurposed" stocks to receive this stamping? Also, the M28/30 pattern handguard doesn't have a channel ground into the nose for an accuracy collar: do you think this was because they sometimes didn't use the collar in refurbed M28/30s, or did they just use a "blank" M28/30 pattern replacement handguard when needed on M27s, M28s, and M28/30s and cut a channel for the collar when needed?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
The channels for the aluminum collars are there sometimes and not others. I have no idea what the story is there and if somebody can enlighten me I would appreciate it. I have a couple in newer refurbed stocks with no channel cut but clear and obvious wear from one that had been there at one time. Others with newer stocks have the aluminum spacer on there and a new channel made in the stock and hand guard. No set pattern in what I own but I would love to hear what others have seen. Bill

·
Admin Emeritus
19,083 Posts
The stock missing the bottom rear swivel is odd. When it was removed is any guess but it should still be there if you ask me if it was a military replacment. As is the use of the 28/30 handguard. M/27 handguard which are essentially the same as a m/28 were made as replacments and used so there is no need to use a 28/30 version. Odd indeed. Overall a very nice set. I'm not familiar with the buttstock stamping the serial as a process done on rebuilds. The bayonet is a nice looking 28 and not seen commonly.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The stock missing the bottom rear swivel is odd. When it was removed is any guess but it should still be there if you ask me if it was a military replacment.
As the Finnish Army had "kiv/28" in their post-war nomenclature the former kiv/27 stock was probably repaired to meet the specs. This I believe is why the swivel is missing. Also, if you look at the rear sling slot escutcheon you'll see it is later addition as it was fitted on the kiv/27 type wood plug very roughly.

The stock numbers were probably added to avoid the stocks getting mixed during refurb. They can be either under the buttplate or simply on one side of the buttstock. I've seen these on kiv/27, m/28 and m/28-30 rifles but IMHO they all are post-war.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.