Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this up, not much out there to buy and this was too cheap to let go. Pretty sure it is a Hanyang 88 based on the stock cartouches but the receiver is blank, doesn't look scrubbed but it doesn't have any Chinese markings that I can tell, usual kind of beat up shape with a dark bore but I like it, lots of history. Any help with the meaning of the stock markings is appreciated. Or if I am wrong about what it is!

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Yep, the Hanyang "Improved" 1888. Hanyang started Production of Original M1888 in 1895, with Barrel Jacket etc. byu the time of the Revolution (1911) they had developed an "improved" Version, patterned on the CG Haenel M1907, With NO barrel Jacket, and Patent 1902 Mauser Rear and front sights. This was made by Hanyang until the Late 1930s, and by Other Arsenals as well. An idea of which one can be ascertained from the Letters Preceding the Serial Number on the LHS of the receiver...Look at Goldsmith's "Arming the Dragon" for more Info.

Doc AV

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I searched for that book at found it, might get a copy, the letters and numbers on the LHS start with 2S2 if anyone knows what that is. Thanks again!

Yep, the Hanyang "Improved" 1888. Hanyang started Production of Original M1888 in 1895, with Barrel Jacket etc. byu the time of the Revolution (1911) they had developed an "improved" Version, patterned on the CG Haenel M1907, With NO barrel Jacket, and Patent 1902 Mauser Rear and front sights. This was made by Hanyang until the Late 1930s, and by Other Arsenals as well. An idea of which one can be ascertained from the Letters Preceding the Serial Number on the LHS of the receiver...Look at Goldsmith's "Arming the Dragon" for more Info.

Doc AV

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Fanciful name.

The Various War Lords (usually Provincial district commanders, with their own locally recruited "armies") gave their men anything they could Buy (import), steal( from defeated adversaries), or Purloin from Imperial ( and later Republican) Arsenals.

List of Firearms in Use at end of WW I-into 1920s

Mosin Nagant rifles, old 1891 Model and Later "1908" Model; US-built (NEW and Rem)
Mauser Rifles ( M1907 design, M1895 Design, Gew98 etc design, earlier M71 BP types, Chinese Made M1907 Mausers
Remington Lee M1882 ( Chinese Lee)
German Commission 88, Hanyang Built G88, Hanyang Improved 88
Italian M91 Carcanos ( Fujian province 1927)
Other various Rifles from Europe WW I
Japanese T30 and 38 rifles
Variety of locally built clones and bad copies of above.

Even Chiang-Kai-shek, in the early 1920s, had to buy Soviet M91s, as the other Warlords had cornered the market on Mausers and Japanese rifles. It was the mid-1930s before CKS had gained majority control of the Provinces, and their Arsenals, and so began rationalizing both Production and distribution of "Mauser" designs, even though the "Hanyang " continued in Production as seen into the Japanese War Period, in Wuhan ( Hanyang) and later, in Chung King (Qong Qin).

Doc AV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.