Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We want you to share with everyone those handloads that gave you proper function of your Ag42b rifle. Please share that info in this thread.

Cartridge case manufacture?
Bullet weight and manufacture?
Powder type and weight?
Crimp & what type?
Overall length?

No lubing of cartridge cases allowed in this thread. Let us put that military procedure where it belongs, in the history books, and move into the handloading of 6.5x55 for the Ljungman following acceptable handloading protocol.

Dutch

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having just performed some load testing in my Ljungman, I can give a load that functions well, and does not throw the brass 30 yards away!

I decided to use Winchester cases as they are easy to find where I live, and much less expensive than the Lapua cases i reserve for the Bolt Guns.

So here goes...

Cases: Win.
Powder: 36.5-37grs of IMR 4895
Bullet: Hornady 140gr Interlock
Primer: Win.
OAL. 3.060

This load functions nicely and doesn`t beat the rims to death on the ejector. Cases fly about 10-12ft forward about 2:00 position. The load prints about 3 inches above point of aim at 100m. No crimping of the bullet was necessary.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Beautiful news. Any idea on roughly what the velocity would be on this load? I don't own a chronograph and likely won't in the near future but I like to have a ballpark idea where things stand. I'm going to try and get some loaded by the time I go shoot again next month and try them out. Did you use standard or magnum primers?

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
My favorite load is:

Norma berdan primed brass (wooden bullet ammo)
38 gr. of IMR 4895
Nosler 123 gr. custom competition HPBT bullet
Lee factory crimp

This is a very flat shooting load, can hit the 8" steels at 100 yd and the 12" steel plates at 150 yd. and not change my hold over, just aim straight at them.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Having just performed some load testing in my Ljungman, I can give a load that functions well, and does not throw the brass 30 yards away!

I decided to use Winchester cases as they are easy to find where I live, and much less expensive than the Lapua cases i reserve for the Bolt Guns.

So here goes...

Cases: Win.
Powder: 36.5-37grs of IMR 4895
Bullet: Hornady 140gr Interlock
Primer: Win.
OAL. 3.060

This load functions nicely and doesn`t beat the rims to death on the ejector. Cases fly about 10-12ft forward about 2:00 position. The load prints about 3 inches above point of aim at 100m. No crimping of the bullet was necessary.
That's the same load I use (37 gr IMR 4895) but use Norma or Graf cases. Pretty much the same results.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I use 4064 and the Prvi 139 grain full metal jacket bullets from grafs. Don't remember the powder charge off the top of my head but it cycles fine and shoots well. Just throws the brass into never never land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
Nosler 140 gr HPBT, IMR 4064 36 gr, CCI #34 primer, Prvi Partizan brass, light crimp with Lee factory crimp die. I have a gas regulator screw installed, and with it adjusted to give reliable cycling, brass goes 6-8 feet. This load grouped 12" high at 100 yds, so that is 8" above issue ammunition's POI. I also loaded some M94 brass - Norma - with the same bullet and powder charge, but used Tula KV-7.62N Berdan primers. It shot the same as the Prvi/Boxer brass version.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
AG42's usually print pretty close to point of aim if your velocity is close to Military spec. Could your rear sight drum be set for the Round nose bullet instead of the Spitzer profile?
The sight drum is set for the "T" ammunition; range goes to 700 meters. The IMR 4064 load was my first attempt; I selected it because it has been reported here as serviceable. I will try IMR 4895 for the next trial. There is load data for IMR 4895 in the Lyman manual; it is an "accuracy load" powder. The CCI #34, being also a magnum primer, may be spiking pressure, but I will use it since I am taking no chances of slam fire. BTW I used the inexpensive toy-like Lee Perfect powder measure. It threw IMR 4064 with commendable consistency and only a few grinds, and even the "grinder" throws were correct. I weigh every thrown charge. For me, a powder measure is nothing more than a convenient way to dispense powder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are able, try and chronograph your loads. Anywhere between 2550-2600 FPS with an 140gr spitser bullet should print to POA. If it still doesn't, then check the number on your front sight and see which number is installed. They are numbered from -.5mm to +1.5mm in .5mm increments. You might need a taller one. They are often sold on Ebay or by Liberty Tree collectors from time to time. GPC in West Hurly might have as well.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
If you are able, try and chronograph your loads. Anywhere between 2550-2600 FPS with an 140gr spitser bullet should print to POA. If it still doesn't, then check the number on your front sight and see which number is installed. They are numbered from -.5mm to +1.5mm in .5mm increments. You might need a taller one. They are often sold on Ebay or by Liberty Tree collectors from time to time. GPC in West Hurly might have as well.
My AG42b has a -0.5 front sight. I just ordered a set of front sights from Springfield Sporters (along with spare springs, extractor, firing pin, etc.) The tallest (supposedly) is a +2. I have front sight height values for the M96 and M38. If the AG42b sight numbers are base to blade height in mm, I can calculate how much correction I can get. But first I'll see what an IMR 4895 load does. Does the AG42b barrel have the same 1 turn in 7.5" as the M96 and M38?

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
If my calculations are correct, a 0.5 blade height increment, from 0, will move the POI approx. 3". I have a -0.5 blade, so a + 1 blade should be a 9" correction, bringing the POI to 3" above POA, or within 1" of the design POI, which is 10 cm/4" above POA at 100 meters. A + 1.5 blade should yield POA=POI with my load, but Springfield Sporters said that blade is sold out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine has a +0.5 sight and POA is between 3-4" high at 100m. I'd like it closer to 1-2" high, but I can live with what it is...just need to take a 6 O'clock hold instead of dead on aim. In your case I guess I'd go with the "1"

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
Mine has a +0.5 sight and POA is between 3-4" high at 100m. I'd like it closer to 1-2" high, but I can live with what it is...just need to take a 6 O'clock hold instead of dead on aim. In your case I guess I'd go with the "1"
Your IMR 4895 load is shooting to spec, so I will follow your lead and try your load before changing my front sight. I shoot with a 6 o'clock hold and with my rifle a +.5 sight would bring POI to the center of a 12" target @ 100 yds. However, I prefer to keep the rifle's sights to spec since I don't want POI issues at longer ranges. Does anyone know how Swedish soldiers were trained to shoot the AG42b? The Swiss army manual for the K31 instructs to use a center hold at 100 and 200 meters, with the corresponding range sight elevations, but to use a 6 o'clock hold for 300 meters and beyond.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
"Swede" posted this load in another thread here: "Safe AG42b Ljungman Commercial Ammo." (See his post #2) - 140 grain Sierra BTSP Lapua brass trim to 2.160" 3.064" over all length CCI #34 primers 37 grains of Reloader 15 light crimp with Lee FC die Muzzle velocity 2575. - I shot it today, but with the Nosler 140 gr HPBT and Prvi brass. I also shot an IMR 4895 load - 36 gr - but judging from the brass dispersion there were some extreme pressure variations, probably due to load density. The Rel 15 load, however, plopped the brass in a small area 8 feet away. Both loads were still shooting high - 13-14" above POA - and I also fired 3 M94/41 rounds, which also printed 13" high. These cases flew 30+ feet, and that is even with a gas regulator. The Rel 15 also grouped better for me, so I will pursue loads with this powder after installing a +1 front sight.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
Today I shot loads with 36.5 gr and 37 gr IMR 4064. The ligher load shot 3" higher than the heavier but with a somewhat tighter grouping. I also shot a load from the Vihta Vuori manual: Lapua 144 gr FMJBT over 37 gr N150; COAL 3.11". This grouped 4 rounds in 1 inch about 1" above POA. So far, this load looks the most promising, but I will continue testing IMR 4064 at 36 and 36.5 gr. Bullet for the IMR 4064 loads was the 140 gr Nosler HPBT; COAL 3.1". These loads grouped more consistently than Rel 15, possibly because IMR 4064 and N150 are single-base nitro-cellulose powders and Rel 15 is dual-base. I'm suspecting that the single base powders are less touchy about charge density than Rel 15. One thing I've noticed is that with all loads, one out of five is outside of the other 4 rounds' group. I have a theory about this: the first round is chambered only by the spring pressure on the bolt, while subsequent rounds are chambered with greater force since the bolt rebounds from opening under gas pressure and gets some additional force "bouncing" off of the bolt stop/safety assembly. This extra chambering force is tamping the loose powder charge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been testing loads with my newly acquired Ljungman and so far have settled on:

Case: PRVI
Primer: CCI #200
Bullet: 140 grain Nosler Custom Competition HPBT
Powder: 34.0 grains IMR 4895
Crimp: none
OAL : 3.148

I also tried loads with 33.0, 35.0, and 36.0 grains, but the 34.0 had the edge in accuracy at 100 yards. I was working to find a load for a vintage military rifle match requiring 3 sighters, then 50 shots for score. (from a bench)

I had high hopes for my chosen load because while practicing I was able to put 12 shots into 2 3/8" with one flier 1 3/4" outside the group. I don't remember which shot was the flier. Well my hopes were dashed 'cause I fell apart during the match! The major problem being my front sight being to low. I had to use "Kentucky elevation" to aim for the 10-ring. My groups for score during the match opened up considerably, including one whole string of 10 shots that went to the right of center! So now I have a taller front sight on order and hopefully will do better at the next match.

One bit of information on my OAL: it's short enough to fit in the magazine, but is a bit to long for the chamber because sometimes when I need to unchamber a round, the bullet will stick in the chamber and only the case will come out spilling gunpowder all over! (remember I have no crimp on these cartridges). So..........my next trip to the range will be with cartridges sized to 3.100 to see how they perform.

DR

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Sounds like my velocity is too high also as my load, that is gentle on brass, accurate and doesn't sling brass a country mile still hits about 8" high at 100yds. I need to get a chronograph. Rear site is set to spitzer and front is a +1.5.

Bullet weight and manufacture: 140gr Hornady match BTHP
Powder type and weight: Varget 34.75 g
Crimp & what type: no crimp
Overall length: 3.150
Primer: CCI 200

1 - 20 of 110 Posts