Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yeah the wood looks stripped, bleached, and sanded. Hard to tell about the handguard. I'm sure with military contracts little or no effort was made to match color. Looks like a Swede M96. They were re-arsenalled as were arms of many nations. Possible a different handguard was introduced. Or just maybe previous owner replaced a missing or damaged one. Stock has some nice tiger stripe grain. I found a company that sells real boiled linseed oil made in Sweden at www.solventfreepaint.com. It is made the old way by simmering for many hours to cook out impurities and initiate the cross-link process without adding artificial toxic metallic driers. I used it to finish some furniture and it dried in 12 hrs! That would look great on your Swede. I've owned several Swedes and the finishes tested positive for shellac and BLO. They may have used a combo. Old references I have indicate that in the early part of the 20th century wood was finished by sealing with a coat of amber shellac and then topcoats of BLO. That would create a beautiful golden color.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Not to be picky but there is no such word as rearsenaled. That's like saying a repainted car has been regaraged. Who ever came up with the term did not understand firearms. With so many new members reading our posts I'd rather not see bad information passed on.
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Not to be picky but there is no such word as rearsenaled. That's like saying a repainted car has been regaraged. Who ever came up with the term did not understand firearms. With so many new members reading our posts I'd rather not see bad information passed on.
Regards
Dan
It's been in use for many years in the gun world. Simply a short way to say a piece underwent arsenal re-build/re-work/re-manufacture/re-condition. Kinda like a taking the phrase "re-conditioned at an arsenal" and condensing it. This differentiates it from a piece that was re-finished in someones garage or shop. Saves keystrokes.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
You could say "arsenal refurbished" rather than use a word that isn't in any dictionary. The use of fictional words to save key strokes may be a generational thing. It is an insult to intelligence to use it on a public forum. There is a big difference between fact & fiction. Sorry to have gone off topic here but I'd rather not see us spread fiction This is just one of the reasons I have been reluctant post information on the forums. Perhaps it's just me getting old and I need to just fade away.
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
You may not like rearsenaled but it is in common use. English is a constantly evolving language and this word popped up to fill a gap. It is a more general term than arsenal refurbished as it covers FTR Enfields as well. "Reconditioned under government auspice" is a bit long but means the same.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
So we continue to "dumb down" is that it? The word popped up because of ignorance and laziness. One of the many things I learned in my early collecting years was be honest, be accuarte, & be polite. I miss all of my old friends from the "Greatest Generation". Perhaps I should to just go away and quit trying to educate the newer collectors.
Dan

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I disagree with your assessment that the word is the result of "ignorance and laziness". And if your consider those terms to be polite I disagree with that too. Please continue to try to educate newer collectors but do so in a way that doesn't make them feel smaller.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I apologize to the poster for misdirecting this thread. As for the other, well, i'm not the most politicaly correct guy in the crowd.
Be Well
Dan

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Even as non-native English speaker, i'm used to the term 're-arsenaled' here in the forum.
From my impression, 're-arsenaled' gives a positive impression: means that some part was reworked/ refurbished in an Arsenal, not in a (private) garage workshop. Same meaning as 'arsenal overhauled'. By that, the refurbished parts have similar high quality as the originally parts, especially regarding metal-to-wood matching, or blueing.

Regarding the Swedish M96 in question here: during WW1, the Swedes used 3-4 different kinds of wood for their rifles, due to lack of Walnut wood. By that, differences in color should be correct after arsenal-repairs.
Most Swedish rifles, even the most beautiful ones, paid more than one visit to the arsenal. Each arsenal visit was marked with a 'crown' stamp on the underside of the stock -> just count them on your rifle...

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.