Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You may have seen my recent thread on the jammed (empty) case in the chamber, holding the bolt carrier closed? Followed by my challenges getting the middle barrel band reseated? Well, those adventures culminated almost five years of never getting this rifle out to the range, and I finally (with the help of all your suggestions and remedies - THANKS GUYS!) got it all together to go shooting today. ...Wow! Is this an awesome gun, or what?!?

Shooting all WW2 German ammo, 100 yard target shown below. I was shooting two different headstamps of the German ammo, and one headstamp seemed to hit slightly above POA, and the other slightly below. (There were a couple more rounds above and below the Shoot-N-See, not visible here.) When I switched to 300 yards, I shot only ammo with all the same headstamps.

300 yard target shown below. The aiming black is only 12 inches across, so my 61YO peepers just could not acquire the best sight picture on that little dot. (Maybe that explains that flyer out there at 3 o'clock? :rolleyes: ) Still, I think this group would have achieved 'Minute of Body' on the battlefield. And this ammo is 10 years older than I am! No misfires; only the expected chamber seizures. :p BTW: When I first moved to 300 yards, I put the rear sight at 300 meters, but after several rounds flew into the berm well above the target :eek: , I reset the rear sight to 200 meters, and you can see the result. (I think this ammo is pretty amazing!)

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Hakim!
The rifle is an absolute hoot to shoot!

Your first experience is good ... but she can do better!
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=21165

Now that you know it will shoot, you may want to review some of the info in the above thread and the other one linked in it.
There are a few "minor" details on identifying and correcting some of the minor imperfections of the Hakim.
Close attention to the muzzle brake, seating of the barrel in the forestock, front barrel band binding, bad wood holding the receiver, and a few other items that will tighten her up a bit.

I just love dicking around with the Hakim sniper and blasting targets the size of golf balls at 240yds ... so you know the rifle is capable of it... and the pure milsurp brother will do 3" groups at 200 with iron sights.
The only thing keeping me from ripping off a few hundred rounds with them is the stinking price of 8mm these days. I'm seriously looking into reloading cut down 30-06 brass this winter as the M1 is getting far more range time than the Hakims these days.

And now that you are hooked on Hakim, get your hands on baby brother Rasheed! 7.62x39 is still affordable and the Rasheed took everything good from Hakim and got better!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I shot my very first 8mm hakim using PMC soft point ammo at 100yds. it shot a perfect 5 shot group about 3" and at 2" above the bull eye. That was very impressive for one of these old war horses. I figure that most military rifles are zero'd in for 200 yards so they shoot high at 100yds. I guess we have to figure out what the hakim is the most accurate with.(ammo/bullet weight) I have shot my hakim with the surplus FMJ FNM 8mm ammo too but i can't remember the group size at 100yds with it. I should record everything now. I like plinking the small rocks on the berm at 100yds with the hakim. This has to be one of the best 8mm semi's, well the most affordable anyway. I have a few FN49's but i haven't shot them yet.

I've been collecting ammo for many many years now figuring retirement and plenty of shooting time ahead of me. While I been away from the reloading bench ever since the surplus ammo became available and it was so cheap too shoot with the increase in ammo prices its time to reload again. I guess we can say the surplus market has come full circle in our lifetime, heck it lasted for just a few decades.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts