Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what was the original finish applied to the hakim rifle? was it boiled linseed oil? i bought a hakim in good condition a couple of years ago and a previous owner stripped the original finish and applied some sort of a high gloss finish to it. i'd like to return it to its original look.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Oil ... and sand

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
Check out the Hakim picture thread for examples of various stock colors. It's my belief the original finish was probably boiled linseed oil. I base my assumption on the fact that the Swedes were responsible for setting up rifle production for the Egyptians, and BLO was the standard finish for Swedish rifles. In addition my two excellent condition Hakim rifles have what appear to be BLO type finishes.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Do shoot it hot and get the cosmo out of it before refinishing as they do get very hot and it will weep out of the wood for quite some time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do shoot it hot and get the cosmo out of it before refinishing as they do get very hot and it will weep out of the wood for quite some time.
i'm the 3rd owner of it after it was imported into the USA. i've shot it some and it doesn't weep cosmoline. the previous owner told me that the owner before him is the one that put this shiny finish on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Way back when I received my Hakim I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever called a gun. I swear the stock looked like it was crafted out of an old railroad tie! At the time I did not know better and there was no internet- it had nor been invented yet. No one else I knew had one except a guy at work and he didn't know any better either. I cleaned and sanded the stock as best I could without changing any of the lines or markings, however I do not remember any stock markings or cartouches. Did they have such markings? I have seen a lot of variations. I may have detracted from the value, but can you believe that I bought my Hakim back then for 100 bucks! Amazing to get all that firepower for 100 bucks! I never want to sell it. I absolutely love it and it is tucked into my safe with my Mosin Nagants and Russian Simonov model 1945 SKS keeping it company.

·
Registered
14,254 Posts
Most of the Hakim's that I have seen have a cheap tinted varnish finish that flakes off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.