Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
The FN I believe has parts available . What I didn't like about mine was I couldn't find stripper clips for it and had to hold the bolt open with one hand while loading up to 7 or 8 cartridges with the other . Otherwise , no problems.
Both the Egyptian rifles use a 5 rd clip unique to those rifles. A mauser clip will fit but won't sit low enough in an FN49 to properly strip the rounds into the magazine. Both clips pivot down into the magazine. The clips have only 2 bumps on the side unlike the usual 3 bump K98 clips

·
Registered
964 Posts
The FN I believe has parts available . What I didn't like about mine was I couldn't find stripper clips for it and had to hold the bolt open with one hand while loading up to 7 or 8 cartridges with the other . Otherwise , no problems.
Parts for the FN49 are drying up. Firing pins (1 piece), extractor springs, and gas piston return springs seem to be the most vulnerable.

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
My personal experience is that anytime you are buying old semi auto milsurp rifles, you need luck on your side. I have a couple that function fantastic. My 8mm FN49 has been a work in progress. Some run and some don't. There is not a gunsmith in my area I trust so I either fix stuff myself or just sell them after a proper description.
I have found that I know more about fixing most guns, than the self described "Gunsmith". A lot of it is common sense.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My personal experience is that anytime you are buying old semi auto milsurp rifles, you need luck on your side. I have a couple that function fantastic. My 8mm FN49 has been a work in progress. Some run and some don't. There is not a gunsmith in my area I trust so I either fix stuff myself or just sell them after a proper description.
I definitely agree, year back I got a slick deal on a 3 digit, pre-letter block G43, was one of the first 1,000 made, however when I took it apart the piston was frozen to the cylinder so it wouldn’t function and I could even get it off, ended up selling it to a collector of early G43 rifles

·
Registered
895 Posts
I definitely agree, year back I got a slick deal on a 3 digit, pre-letter block G43, was one of the first 1,000 made, however when I took it apart the piston was frozen to the cylinder so it wouldn’t function and I could even get it off, ended up selling it to a collector of early G43 rifles
Thats a shame. I am on the hunt for a G43.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is definitely a concern.

To mitigate against it, both the Hakim and 49 have #s on the key parts you can check. Not a guarantee, but improves the odds of a good specimen.

FN 49 has them on bolt, bolt carrier and receiver cover

Hakim has them on same parts but electropenciled.

Many of the Egyptian 49s sold here were put togethers by CAI from leftover parts. Avoid these.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You must be 100 years old , or no, even older. When I was 25 , gas was $.19 . I don't think it was ever a nickel BUB !!!! Lets see $1000/ $60 = 16.67 or 1667 rise in price The rate of inflation has averaged 2.55% over the last 36 years so $60 then is equivalent to 148.42 or so. [I got 2 different answers .] Therefore it has nothing to do with inflation or salary but more to do with people hungry for anything with wood on a gun with throw away money . Like I told Brian, I wouldn't own one again for any reason . You may think differently .
You are right, I was mistaken -- and you are even older than me. Gas was 30 cents a gallon when I started mowing lawns. But the fact that it was possible to buy a Hakim or FN49 for $60 at some time in the distant past is still irrelevant to what things cost today. I'm a geezer just like so many of the guys on this and every other forum -- but I don't feel compelled to tell everyone what stuff cost and what I paid for stuff more than 40+ years ago in "ye olde days" -- those prices are simply irrelevant because market conditions were completely different back then. If I want something today I have to pay today's price, and if I sell something, I'm going to sell it for today's price, regardless of what I paid for it way back then. I'll sell something for a 1970s price when someone sells me what I want to buy for a 1970s price.

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
You are right, I was mistaken -- and you are even older than me. Gas was 30 cents a gallon when I started mowing lawns. But the fact that it was possible to buy a Hakim or FN49 for $60 at some time in the distant past is still irrelevant to what things cost today. I'm a geezer just like so many of the guys on this and every other forum -- but I don't feel compelled to tell everyone what stuff cost and what I paid for stuff more than 40+ years ago in "ye olde days" -- those prices are simply irrelevant because market conditions were completely different back then. If I want something today I have to pay today's price, and if I sell something, I'm going to sell it for today's price, regardless of what I paid for it way back then. I'll sell something for a 1970s price when someone sells me what I want to buy for a 1970s price.
Well then you remember when before 1987 , milsurps were expensive and then Reagan signed the law allowing the importation of vast supplies so prices were up and then went way down and now they're back up . I'm not saying I want to buy something for 1985 prices. I'm saying the Hakim came in and was sold for $60 and to me that sounds like a fair price today because I think they're a POS !!!! Same with the Rasheed which I refused to own even when they were $75 . One thing I'm certain of is that Egypt was never given a contract by any country to produce arms . The ones that came into this country were picked up where the Egyptian " soldier" , threw them down and ran away from the Israeli soldiers. The Israeli's didn't want them so they dumped them wholesale .Some of you may like them. That's your choice. I obviously don't and am aghast that anyone would ever consider paying $1000 for one. Just MHO.

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
I’m looking to get one of these rifles but not sure which one would be the better choice. I’ve shot an FN49 in 7mm and loved the action but would like an Egyptian model in 8mm since I have so much ammo in that caliber. Looking for owner of these to weigh in before I make a decision and post an add
I once saw an M-1 Garand chambered in 8mm. Like a lot of other things, I didn't buy it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Found a Hakim looks to be in pretty decent shape, now I just need an FN49, if anyone has one, I’m in the market. I already bought the gas tool for one, just need the rest of the rifle 😆

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Found a Hakim looks to be in pretty decent shape, now I just need an FN49, if anyone has one, I’m in the market. I already bought the gas tool for one, just need the rest of the rifle 😆
Unfortunately, if you don't mind getting a little powder residue on your fingers, you don't really need an FN49 gas tool.

I haven;t found a need for one in the 35 plus years I have owned my Lux49.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts