Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking to get one of these rifles but not sure which one would be the better choice. I’ve shot an FN49 in 7mm and loved the action but would like an Egyptian model in 8mm since I have so much ammo in that caliber. Looking for owner of these to weigh in before I make a decision and post an add

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I've had both and both are fine rifles. The trigger was smoother on my Hakim and the action in general was smoother too but you really can't go wrong with either. The Hakim is great fun at the range because the blast from the muzzle brake scares the hell out of people!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I think the Hakim is a blast to shoot (watch that action/ bolt closing - ouch). Unfortunately, I have not fired an FN49 yet.

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
One made by the Egyptians, the other by the Belgians . I've had both and the Hakim busted the extractor , whereas the FN ate everything.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had both, liked shooting the FN49 (Egyptian contract) better and still own it, sold the Hakim and bought a Ljungman AG m/42b and find it much better to shoot in its originally designed caliber than the Egyptian 8mm Mauser version.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I own a Lux FN49 and a Hakim.

I find myself taking the Hakim to the range more often than the FN49, and it is NOT because of the fact that they are in different calibers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 49 definitely has better sights and, for me at least, a more comfortable stock.

However, I'd say the hakim has more of a "fun" factor when shooting. The muzzle brake is very effective, controlling recoil to the point where the FN49 in 7mm kicks MORE than the Hakim in 8mm. The gas also gives a little breeze through your hair after every shot that is unique.

I've never shot a 49 in 8mm, but from my experiences with the 7mm, I can imagine the recoil would be substantial.

A few other things to consider:

1. The FN-49 is an extremely well made beautiful piece of engineering, both outside and in.
My Hakim is solidly built, but fit and finish, especially with the small parts, are in a different universe.

2. Hakims are still available for under $1000 if you can be patient. Egyptian FN-49s are not. The were a year and a half ago, but from what I see, they have appreciated much more than the Hakim since then. Also, most seem to be well used. Avoid the ones with the black plastic buttplates as those are not original stocks.

3. There are oodles and oodles of spare parts available for the Egyptian FN-49 and cheaply. Hakim parts, especially stocks, rear sight sliders, and extractors are not.

4. If you are going to be shooting corrosive ammo through it (assuming so because 8mm), my experience is that the Hakim is easier to clean because it has no gas piston system and lacks a bunch of the small curved areas around the breech that the 49 has. I have seen differing opinions on this, however.

5. My 49 has a heavy, but rock solid feeling trigger. My Hakims' trigger is much looser on the pin, but releases with less weight of pull than any other military rifle I have.

Just my observations. I think you would enjoy either of them, especially if ammo supply isn't a problem.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
In short:

Fm49...More Reliable.....Better Looks.....More User Friendly.....But More Costly

Hakim...More Fun Factor To Me... That Flash Hider Is Great To Absorb Recoil In My Mind.....Temepermental...Some breakage of Parts can happen......

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
A few other things to consider:

2. Hakims are still available for under $1000 if you can be patient.
Good God, $1000 for a Hakim????? When they came in the country I bought one for $60 from a dealer. It would be a cold day in hell , you'd catch me paying anything close to that for that "gun" !! Now I also bought an Egyptian FN for $60 , back then also .

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good God, $1000 for a Hakim????? When they came in the country I bought one for $60 from a dealer. It would be a cold day in hell , you'd catch me paying anything close to that for that "gun" !! Now I also bought an Egyptian FN for $60 , back then also .
And gas was a nickel a gallon when I started mowing other people's lawns as a kid. That fact isn't relevant in today's world, either.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Then I take it you'll have no problem selling things for what you paid for them?

I've seen some of the prices you ask for things you sell so I know that's not the case.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may end up getting both eventually, I think I’ll start with the FN49 since they’re value is steadily increasing, and get a Hakim down the road, time to post a WTB add!
Thank you everyone for your input and advice, I really appreciate it!

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
Then I take it you'll have no problem selling things for what you paid for them?

I've seen some of the prices you ask for things you sell so I know that's not the case.
Everyone has their own idea of what's collectible and what's not. My opinion of the Hakim is it's a POS !!!!!The one I had was heavy, clunky and not very accurate. When the extractor broke, there were no spare parts . I don't know if that's the case today , but regardless, I wouldn't own one again for any reason. Most of them were captured by Israel after the Egyptian threw it down in a hasty retreat . Like French guns that people are willing to pay silly prices for, I wouldn't own those either . I'm talking about the MAS 36 [?] , or whatever that's a 7.5 or .308 bolt action. You may have another opinion, but that's mine .

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
And gas was a nickel a gallon when I started mowing other people's lawns as a kid. That fact isn't relevant in today's world, either.
You must be 100 years old , or no, even older. When I was 25 , gas was $.19 . I don't think it was ever a nickel BUB !!!! Lets see $1000/ $60 = 16.67 or 1667 rise in price The rate of inflation has averaged 2.55% over the last 36 years so $60 then is equivalent to 148.42 or so. [I got 2 different answers .] Therefore it has nothing to do with inflation or salary but more to do with people hungry for anything with wood on a gun with throw away money . Like I told Brian, I wouldn't own one again for any reason . You may think differently .

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You must be 100 years old , or no, even older. When I was 25 , gas was $.19 . I don't think it was ever a nickel BUB !!!! Lets see $1000/ $60 = 16.67 or 1667 rise in price The rate of inflation has averaged 2.55% over the last 36 years so $60 then is equivalent to 148.42 or so. [I got 2 different answers .] Therefore it has nothing to do with inflation or salary but more to do with people hungry for anything with wood on a gun with throw away money . Like I told Brian, I wouldn't own one again for any reason . You may think differently .
The only reason I wanted to get one was that its a semi-auto 8mm, I also want to inspect how they did the gas system for a project I’m working on

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
The only reason I wanted to get one was that its a semi-auto 8mm, I also want to inspect how they did the gas system for a project I’m working on
The FN I believe has parts available . What I didn't like about mine was I couldn't find stripper clips for it and had to hold the bolt open with one hand while loading up to 7 or 8 cartridges with the other . Otherwise , no problems.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My personal experience is that anytime you are buying old semi auto milsurp rifles, you need luck on your side. I have a couple that function fantastic. My 8mm FN49 has been a work in progress. Some run and some don't. There is not a gunsmith in my area I trust so I either fix stuff myself or just sell them after a proper description.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts