Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the forum,and would appreciate info on a hakim.
got my hakim today,i notice in photo's on right side of receiver
there is a bar going up the receiver to what looks like a holder
for stripper clips,mine does not this,did they come like this also?
there is no hole on receiver for the bar to fit.thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
I've never seen an original Hakim without the bar you describe. The bar would hold a rubber cylinder which was used as a shell deflector. It could also be used as a charging handle of sorts.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The ‘bar' you are referring to does not connect to the receiver; it is a shell deflector, and connects to the side of the action cover. They are usually fairly rugged, and I have only seen one other that had only the bar removed, and this was done intentionally. More often than not, the bar AND clip guide are removed by ‘Bubba’ in a feeble attempt to mount a scope to the action cover, or to gain clearance for one. There is also the possibility that you have an AG-42 Lungman action cover on your Hakim, which has a smaller clip guide with no ‘bar’. In any event, your Hakim should have this shell deflector 'bar', so it either broke off, or was cut off.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think the bar serves primarily as the charging handle on both rifle and secondarily as a shell deflector and brass dinger. The diagonal serrations and horns on a Ljungman can also be used, but I prefer the bar for better purchase especially when trying to ease the cover forward or back without slippage.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
That cartridge deflector will do a number on your brass, if you let it. If you plan to reload (or sell your reloadable brass to a reloader), you will hate what it does to your brass.

The damage problems can be tamed by simply putting a pad on the deflector.

In my case, I split a piece of rubber tubing to slip over the deflector, and wrapped it with a piece of black electrical tape to keep it from coming off. Doing this will also make the use of this bar as an 'operating handle' much handier (I have come to HATE the 'finger pads' they put on the receiver cover for operating it, and I use the padded deflector instead).

Oh, and for what it is worth, the boss on top of the receiver cover IS a charger guide, but you need to know the 'secret' so you can use it.

Because of the mechanical design of the rifle, a 'normal' charger guide (one you slide the charger in from the top and strip the rounds into the rifle) was not able to be fitted to the Hakim. They had to 'finesse' the design some to make it work.

If you try to use the charger guide on the Hakim in the 'normal' way, you will most likely strew loose rounds all over the countryside, without getting any rounds to actually go into the magazine. The charger sits too high.

The typical 8mm Mauser charger has three 'lumps' on each side of the charger. This guide is designed to help the user position the charger with the 'correct' lumps engaged in the guide, eliminate the big gap between the bottom of the charger and the top of the magazine, and allow the rounds to go into the magazine.

To properly charger load the Hakim, the bolt needs to be locked to the rear.

You then take the charger, position it so that the bullets are pointing up, and place the 'back end' of the charger against the small ledge at the inside rear of the charger cutout.

Then push down on the charger so that the 'back' of the charger is as low as it can go in the charger guide. This will engage projections at the front of the charger guide between the proper two lumps on the side of the charger to allow the rounds to feed into the magazine.

Once you have the charger positioned as described above, all you need do is to rotate the charger so the bullets are forward, and strip the rounds into the magazine.

Then, remove the charger, or release the bolt and it will push the charger out of the way as it closes.

Once you do it a couple of times, it is pretty easy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Ronbo6 you sneaked in a reply while I was editing. People are amazed with that clip charger. You would think they would figure it out on their own. I also tinkered around with a variety of buffers for the bar, but could never get the homebrew to work guite to my satisfaction. The fixed ejectors always leave a mark on the shell base. That is why I love the spring loaded ejectors on the Garand, M1 carbine, ARs, and earlier versions of the Ruger Mini-14. Of course the ARs probably could benefit from a little product improvement in that area. Perhaps a little adhesive pad on the "hump".

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Since it is your first Hakim, strongly suggest you read through the ARCHIVES here and learn much about it. Much info already resides herein that can answer many questions.
Things you need to learn to avoid:
Hakim thumb
Dents in your forehead
Hakim gas valve tattoo
and many other not so delightful quirks of the Hakim

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 on db2044 suggestions and while you're at it, post up a photo of your piece on the Hakim Photo Thread stickied above!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Oh, and please DON'T shoot it like the one 'Hakim Newbie' I met at the range last year.

His problem is that he would manually take the bolt forward and chamber a round from the magazine with the receiver cover still attached, and would then fire the rifle with the receiver cover forward, still latched to the bolt.

Doing this one time could be a mistake. Do it twice and it becomes a bad habit.

I'm amazed he didn't break something, but I did straighten him out.

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
Photo is a tad blurry, but you can make out the leather cover I have riveted on the charge handle/brass deflector. Please excuse the blurry photo, it was the only one I could find
. A piece of rubber tubing will also suffice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for info,I think Tombstone said about changing of cover might be right.
There is nothing on the cover that would suggest there was on the cover,
soon i get my camera back will post pic's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi , I was just asking on another post if anyone had a gun like yours .That bar launches spent cases forward. I was asking if the cases just eject to the side w/o that bar? Thank you v.much....Rod

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
The only way to be sure would be to cut it off but that would make it almost impossible to hand cycle. My assumption would be it would eject to the right rear in the direction of the shooter. Why would one ask? I hope you don't plan to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.