Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That seller always has some nice rifles to sell, and always gets some 'nice' prices too. I don't get how he does it!

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,648 Posts
I remember when I first got my C&R over ten years ago, this guy was snapping up anything cheap milsurp wise. He wasn't a seller back then. I got into several bidding contests with him..lol. Everytime something was inexpensive... there he was.

I think he was building up a stash for later sale. I've always wondered how a guy based in a tiny town , (Adirondacks),Upstate NY finds all the milsurps he does. He's surely not finding the locally....

I've been to the town he's in...lol. There's maybe one gunshops, and three guys with FFL's....

He's like Dennis Kroh's questionable, not quite right doppleganger.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
1."Very fine, near excellent, condition" No, it is a refurb. See NRA Guidelines for condition standards. Yeah, right.
2." all matching serial numbers including barrel, bolt, floorplate, and buttplate" No, some are ground and "force matched". Or as I would say - restamped.
3."Metal finish is original arsenal deep blue showing very little wear." Little wear since the arsenal reblued it and stored it.
4."correct original cleaning rod" Original to what? This rifle or a 91-30.
5.'Stock has original arsenal varnish finish" Replaced stock has original finish.

I also noticed his photography. he is very "artful". There are some really good tight shots of the serial numbers, etc. Any shots where the sling escutcheons are shown are distant. He is hiding the post-war escutcheons in a fashion that "seems" innocent.

So there are at least five cases of outright lies, distortion, or puffery in the description. That's how he does it. He is obviously NOT using the NRA Guidelines as to condition. Mitchell's Mausers should hire this guy to write some of their copy for them. The bidders at the end don't know what they were bidding on.

I don't find this ad to be honorable. Or honest.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See picture 13 the rifle's stock has clearly been trough a post war refurb.
oh there is no question it is a plain old '43 Izhevsk refrub. The question is how does he manages to round up all the gullible people? Does he work the shows targeting these low-information buyers by giving them his business card and telling them "come see me GB for best deals!" ?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
oh there is no question it is a plain old '43 Izhevsk refrub. The question is how does he manages to round up all the gullible people? Does he work the shows targeting these low-information buyers by giving them his business card and telling them "come see me GB for best deals!" ?
He apparently just lies and exaggerates. Any of us could do that if we could live with ourselves. There are enough new people collecting them that if only a few people on Gunbroker believe him you end up with a rifle that goes for double what they can buy it for in most places. I pretty much have left off buying antique guns online because there is so much fakery and trickery in online sales. Looks like this practice may be coming to milsurps. When did "arsenal finish" become a substitute for the plain old words "refinished" or "refurbished"? That one thing is enough to shun this seller. The rest borders on criminal.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
If we are looking at the same thing, why pay $69.95 when you can pay $155-$200 for the same thing from the same seller? People are weird. This guy also calls gouges "shrapnel damage" in his descriptions. More likely it fell of a truck or a gun rack. I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ive been watching that one too, theres no telling what it will end up going for.
It's the magic of the blanket. Same thing on Ebay, too (where somebody is about to get burned, really bad).

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The magic grey blanket does it's trick yet again! :) The buyer may well be new to the game. Let he who has not made a dumb gun deal cast the first stone...

I have heard the seller accused of all kinds of evil deeds, but have not seen any evidence. I was the successful bidder on one of his auctions a couple of years ago and I got just what he advertised (and at a decent price). The gun was professionally packaged and shipped quickly.....All I ever ask from a seller. I will say that he seems to have the Midas touch. I suspect that some of his auctions are consignments. If I had a rifle that I wanted to get top price for, I would love to borrow the blanket, or send the rifle to him to sell for me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.