Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8" Colt python, had it for a lot of years. I sent it back to Colt and had them reblue it (my son spilled something on it, I think Coke!) and retime it while it was there. Given the prices of Pythons these days, how much value reduction would there be on mine since it was reblued? Does it help that it was factory done? I will NEVER sell this, but when I see the prices listed anymore, makes me wonder how mine would compare. Thanks. Greg

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Only the market will be able to determine actual values or deductions from value due to a refinish. I agree, sending it back to Colt for the reblue should alleviate the devaluation somewhat but not allot. Even though you say you will never sell it face the fact that eventually it will be sold one day. If not by you than one of your descendants.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Usually when a gun is re-blued the value drops, but at some point, depending on how bad the finish is, the actual value may go UP.

As example, you re-blue a 95% Python, you take a value hit.
Re-blue a 50% Python and the value would probably be more.

In all cases, a factory re-finish is better than one done by someone else.
The recent guns that have been refinished at Colt come back looking like brand new guns.
In some cases, the Pythons actually look better than new since Colt's refinishes look more like the original old 1950's deep mirror blue Python blue than the later blues were.

So, how much of a value hit, and IS there a hit considering the original finish was trashed???
30 years from now the question will be moot, and few people then will even be able to detect that it was re-blued.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Python reblue

Inquiring minds need to know, what does Colt charge to reblue a Python? I have a 6" 70's vintage gun that I got for a good price because the finish was messed up - looks like it was stored in a damp gun rug for a while and there's some small pitting on one side of the barrel and the cylinder. It shoots "like a house afire", as my dad used to say, but it would look nicer with a new finish.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I "think" the current price is about $175.00 to $200.

Colt does a REALLY good job these days, and people report their Pythons are coming back looking like the old 1950's mirror-blue Pythons.

The price may sound high, but a quick look at some of the better refinishing services show it's completive for a Python-quality job.
Just about any re-bluing starts at $125.00 these days.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
In my experience factory blues do not detract from the value unless the gun has been corroded so much the required additional polishing is evident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Colt Python Refinish

My early 60's vintage Python just came back from Colt, refinished in Royal Blue and they did one amazing job - looks like my unfired Pythons from same era. They replaced buggered screws incl. sight adjustment screws, and the timing. I gotta say Colt does one super job on these - it had less than 50% finish left, lotsa holster wear but no rust or pitting. I would recommend Colts work to anyone, it also was reasonable cost, about $300. A real beauty! Hate to dirty it up now!

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Old faithful is my 4" Python I bought as a duty carry gun back in the 70's. Holster wear will quickly take a toll on the bluing and she got a lot of holster wear in the years I carried her.
During that time, I had her Magnaported (huge improvement with .357 shooting) and Armaloy hard chrome finish.
Both companies still in business...

Along with custom walnut grips, Eliason sights, and Bill Cross custom trigger work, she became an exceptional Python.
Agony! Ringed the barrel on the range one day with a squib.
I was heartbroken!
The department paid to have Colt install a new match grade barrel and have the Magnaport and Armaloy re-done.

Armaloy is just about indestructible to wear and rust resistant.
It also makes her much easier to clean.

I can't say how many thousands of rounds, inclusive of atomic power level .357, she has eaten and she still gets weekly workouts with a few hundred rounds as I make my son into a revolver shooter!

I just stripped her down completely to overhaul the innards last week. Armaloy on the internals has prevented any signs of wear on the parts despite the thousands of times that trigger has been pulled.

I would most highly recommend Armaloy over any re-bluing as a most durable and attractive finish that will never wear off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts