Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just re- acquired after several years an interesting piece in 22 Cal.An H&R 922 revolver L series serial.
It was given to me by a friend who said he found it wrapped in a sock in an old garage he demolished.There was no front sight and I looked at the kinda cheezie plastic oversize grips and of course saw only a Saturday night special. I gave it to my Dad to fool around with 'cause he was a tinker kind of guy and promptly forgot about it.

It lived in a sock for years and nothing was done with it, All my nephews and sons who were in to guns with their Gramps called it "the sock pistol"
Just took up space on the shelf.

With my Dad's passing the piece ended up back with me.
Now that I have looked at it and done some homework It appears that I may have called it wrong, that the gun is quite collectible.
Any of you out there have any input on this revolver?
We have a four inch barrel, apparently new style lock work with no "1/2" cock and the in line vice leaf main spring.Big plastic grips one piece.
The bore is GREAT, almost like new, a bit of end play, but I can't make a .004 feeler go through the cylinder gap.
A bit of side play, but the bore is just too tight to use the .22 LR range rod. It won't clear the muzzle. Can't verify the timing. Seems like there is a generous forcing cone which may take care of a multitude of sins. That the front sight is missing, makes me think that somebody got heavy handed trying to stake in a replacement, thus tight at the muzzle.
Finish is Good for a 1951 vintage piece, except for the barrel which need some attention.

Thoughts? Pics to follow soon
Thanx and Aloha
Gordy

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Your H&R 922 of the early fifties was mid production for this model which extended from the nineteen twenties to the late seventies. They were relatively inexpensive, serviceable handguns designed for cost effective plinking. To my knowledge there is no particular “collector market” for this gun, of which very many were manufactured. In good condition, it’s ‘highest & best use’ continues in its role simply as a plinker. Generally, they are not of sufficient value to invest much in putting them in shooting order. Perhaps in your instance, such as a family heirloom consideration may happily affect an 'investment decision'.
My take.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Your H&R 922 of the early fifties was mid production for this model which extended from the nineteen twenties to the late seventies. They were relatively inexpensive, serviceable handguns designed for cost effective plinking. To my knowledge there is no particular “collector market” for this gun, of which very many were manufactured. In good condition, it’s ‘highest & best use’ continues in its role simply as a plinker. Generally, they are not of sufficient value to invest much in putting them in shooting order. Perhaps in your instance, such as a family heirloom consideration may happily affect an 'investment decision'.
My take.
I agree. It's not worth putting money into unless for sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
Perhaps I will replace the front sight blade and re blue the barrel. then go shoot tin cans with it.
Aloha
Gordy

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I shot a lot of tin cans with mine, and dump rats, and a woodchuck, and qualified with it in the Air Force Reserve.
In the Regular AF, some of the overseas crews that wore civvies and flew unmarked aircraft carried and performed "half-vast" quals with individual weapons. I thought that was a fortuitous policy befitting the circumstance, but obviously the Reserve component was even more liberal! :)
My take!

·
Silver Bullet Member
127 Posts
In the Regular AF, some of the overseas crews that wore civvies and flew unmarked aircraft carried and performed "half-vast" quals with individual weapons. I thought that was a fortuitous policy befitting the circumstance, but obviously the Reserve component was even more liberal! :)
My take!
It was an Air Recovery Unit (I think maybe it was called that) in the early 60s. We had basically zilch for equipment, had to scrounge vehicles from the surplus (worn out) yard at Westover AFB and Quonsets from the Boston Navy Yard . Certainly no issue weapons. Hey, I did get my third stripe (E4) there before my 8 years was up.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may be a question for the work bench forum, but as I said earlier, the range rod is tight at the front sight on this old revolver. It is close enough that I could probably tap it through, it is that close, but that runs hard against the grain. Clearly the guy before me tried too hard to stake in the front sight and upset the bore ever so slightly.
Is there a fix short of counterboring it an inch or so? I have that capability.
Gunsmiths are scarce here in the provinces.
Thanx in advance.
Aloha
Gordy

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,949 Posts
I have an H&R 922 with a 6" barrel. Great little plinkers they are. Nothing more in my opinion.
But it serves me to ride along side of my Ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The h&r 922 was my first revolver in 22cal. Since then I been collecting h&r 22cal revolvers. H&r manufactured so many different revolvers in 22cal. I'm finding them different models and appear to be unshot or shot very little.
One was sold to me as a nickel finish but after some elbow grease with some Simi-chrome polish it turned out to be chrome. It was so dirty and yellow looking at first. These are awesome affordable buys for plunking.
How can you not like these older revolvers.

Egun parts offers the metal shoe on the hammer spring assembly.
They sell the whole brand new assembly with the main spring.
I prefer to change out the plastic shoe for the metal one.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,727 Posts
Has the barrel actually been squashed? If it still shoots ok i'd leave it alone. Alternatives include counterbore, shortening or barrel replacement. Given the value counterbore would seem best if it doesn't shoot well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has the barrel actually been squashed? If it still shoots ok i'd leave it alone. Alternatives include counterbore, shortening or barrel replacement. Given the value counterbore would seem best if it doesn't shoot well.
I have never fired it, but I think it will be OK. Still no front sight, but I can confirm it will work or not.
Will try it this weekend as I am off to the range.
I am for not messing with it. Maybe solder a new sight blade into the slot and leave it be 'long as it shoots alright.
Thanx for the input
Aloha

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,654 Posts
I have never fired it, but I think it will be OK. Still no front sight, but I can confirm it will work or not.
Will try it this weekend as I am off to the range.
I am for not messing with it. Maybe solder a new sight blade into the slot and leave it be 'long as it shoots alright.
Thanx for the input
Aloha
Well, first step in determining what to do is - shoot the thing and see what happens to the target. Let us know what the range says.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,727 Posts
IIRC the sight fit in a narrow slot. With care a oversize blade could be made and acraglassed into the slot and filed to proper height. Curios to hear accuracy report. Many damaged .22 barrels with bulges, pits, near invisible rifling, squashed (but not bent at 45 degrees) seem to shoot better than they look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.