Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hazmat
Posted - 09/07/2003 : 08:36:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have recently resurrected a Finnish stamped 7.35 (curse you Bubba!) from parts gun to shooter. Unfortunately Bubba D & T'd the receiver for a Redding Peep so I couldn't go back to original. I did fix the elevation problem with a bit of JB Weld. Your results may vary.

Bill Davis
Posted - 09/24/2003 : 2:13:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this post about Bubba and I thought of all the kazillion chopped Carcanos out there. Back in 1968 you could get them from K-mart for $10.87 (I was only ten but I'll NEVER forget the price, I wanted one so bad!!) All the "big kids" were bringing in their Carcanos to sporterize for deer season. I don't know where they got ammo, but I suspect it was Interarms repacks. Up until about 15 years or so ago, virtually EVERY gun shop I walked into that actually traded guns, had a Carcano in the corner with a tag of $25 and the owner would invariably ask, "What IS that thing anyway?" The irritating thing about Hazmat's gun is that the Carcano carbines and short rifles don't NEED chopping; they're like a Jungle Carbine. But 3/4 of the ones I enountered at shops at been chopped at one time or another. The last "deal" I got was a 38 SR in 7.35, SA marked, for $45. The rifle has HUGE diamond-shaped "stock repairs" all over it, even the handguard, it looks like an 8th grade shop project gone wrong, but they are well done, the stock was reinished, and on closer observation I saw that they ARE arsenal repairs, because there is a cartouche OVER the inlay. My last Carcano "bargain" I'll ever encounter (I got it maybe 10 years ago).

hazmat
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 12:41:35 AM
Bill-

That is one benefit of people sporterizing Carcanos. Now no one wants them. If they are historically correct, they do have some value to the Carcano collectors. However, sportered Carcanos are still a dime a dozen. With a little work most can be made to shoot reasonably well. I personally can't stand to see a perfectly useful 'hunting tool' being relegated to the trash bin or parts box when it can be made to work. I have several friends who have never hunted or even shot a rifle. Most came from less American Republiks where common servants aren't allowed those 'wicked' guns. Since they have no experience with guns and are leery to purchase a more expensive one, resurrected 'sporters' are a great way to introduce them to firearms in general and for some even hunting. The carcano is mild enough for even recoil sensitive types and with decent reloads they will put meat on the table! My SA marked 7.35 M38 could have 'almost' been restored completely if Goober hadn't drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. But since I only had about $35 total in it, I couldn't resist the project! I only wish that I had before and after pictures. It looks reasonably respectable now! I'll try to post some picts soon.

greggdw
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 01:25:59 AM
the chopped down carcanos with no rifling around where i live are still priced high.i saw 5 or 6 at a recent show in the $50-$75 range.they still have not sold them and they are still not taking offers after several years.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bill Davis re-worded his experience shortly afterwards thus:

Posted - 02/09/2004 : 11:12:53 PM
The first milsurps I saw were in K-mart in 1965, Carcanos for $10.87 each. They were greasy, oily, battered & filthy, but they were CHEAP! They were regarded as junk, and nobody cared about them. I envied every 8th grader (I was in the 5th) who got to take a Carcano stock to shop class & sporterize it. Carcanos were always well under $50 even up through the 70's; the last 'store bought' one I bought was for $45 in about 1985. It has huge diamond-shaped stock patches, which I thought Bubba did, until I saw the cartouche OVER the patches. (It's an SA-marked 7.35MM SR)
Bill

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another typical individual sporterization

The following thread does NOT depict "Bubba" (I do not much like the overbroad use of what once back in the 1990s was an exceptional condemnation). Rather, the elderly gentleman who now honestly asks about the remaining value of his former M 1938 or M 91/38 short rifle, did 50 years ago what many a buyer at that time did - and he actually did a rather nice and appreciable carving job, with good ornamental taste. But the value of his rifle did not profit from it...

Alexander

JLKwilinski
Posted - 08/02/2006 : 10:01:07 PM

Hi Guys,
I bought this carbine over fifty years ago. At that time they were sold by a surplus store (STARKS)on Chicago's south west side for $12.00. As you can see by the pictures, I cut the stock and carved the butt because there were some dents and scratches. I took it to the range to try it out and found it would keep all shots in a 4" bull at fifty paces. All the metal is untouched, and the bore is bright and shinny only the stock was shortened. It never got used and sat all this time in a closet just about all this time. I never found anybody who sold hunting ammo or anybody who would load my ammo with softpoint or hollowpoint bullets.
I would like to find out how much I could get for it if I tried to sell it.

JLKwilinski

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/JLKwilinski/200682215457_MLNA0001-1.jpg
Download Attachment:
14.11 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/JLKwilinski/200682215545_MLNA0003-1.jpg
Download Attachment:
15.94 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/JLKwilinski/200682215618_MLNA0005-1.jpg
Download Attachment:
12.38 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/JLKwilinski/20068221578_MLNA0006-1.jpg
Download Attachment:
19.68 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/JLKwilinski/200682215753_MLNA0007-1.jpg
Download Attachment:
27.72 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/JLKwilinski/200682215838_MLNA0008-1.jpg
Download Attachment:
35.77 KB

NebrHogger
Posted - 08/02/2006 : 10:16:46 PM

Sporterized milsurps just do not bring a price the seller would most prefer. I have been seeing Carcano sporters offered in the 50 dollar range. A couple reasons for the low price is the difficulty in attaching a scope and the need for a Mannlicher clip to fire them. You could always try taking your chances on the auction route, though.

Look around on Auction Arms - I believe there are a couple sporters offered there. In addition to watching the price at which they are being offered, also note what they are NOT selling for to get a feel for the market.

BTW, that is some VERY nice carving! SW

BradB
Posted - 08/04/2006 : 04:48:48 AM

"I cut the stock and carved the butt because there were some dents and scratches"

Those dents and scratches were far less important to collectors than missing parts and carving. Although you did a GREAT job, you made a $175 rifle into a $50 rifle. It's value is to you alone or someone in your family as a sentimental piece now. Enjoy it as your customized item.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts