Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The extractor of a Carcano rifle is usually best left assembled, because it is individually fitted to the specific rifle or carbine, unless:

- the extractor is broken (claw broke off)
- the extractor is loose and will slide off during operation of the rifle
- the rifle has chambering problems and the extractor claw must be stoned

Andy_P's question may thus be helpful to others. I would like to add the following remarks:

A screwblader blade can and will easily mar the bolt surface and the extractor claw's edge. But the edge should remain smooth, to assure equally smooth feeding. So, a whittled wood piece of very hard wood, or a hard plastic (nylon) might also be suitable and preferable for the job.

The extractor shaft is mortised into the bolt body. The nub on its lower side slides into a milled and chamfered hole inside the extractor mortise groove. When the nub is worn down, the extractor may come out during operation of the rifle. I believe a damaged or worn nub can be built up by micro-welding.

The extractor is manually fitted to the bolt by judicious peenng (hammering) of the two side of the mortise groove. This is accepted ordnance practice and actually prescribed. Taking out the extractor even once (but certainly if more often) will undo this peening and will result in a loose extractor. If you do not re-peen it, you may later encounter problems. I suggest light blows with s small brass (chiselling / engraving) hammer.

Carcano

Andy_P
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 08:08:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went to: http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/ and it says:

"If you wish to remove the extractor (not recommended, except for unusual situations), with small pliers (needle nose), grab extractor claw and pull out (radially) and forward."

http://www.surplusrifle.com/carcano9138/boltdisassembly/index.asp, says nothing about the extractor.

The paucity of explanation and lack of pictures leaves me uncomfortable to proceed.

Is there a site I have missed that would be a help? Anybody done this before and has some tips?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy
www.8mmARPWildcat.pridham.ca
www.8x63swedish.pridham.ca

airdale
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 1:17:34 PM
Andy, this is the method I use to remove them and it works about 95% of the time.
Place the bolt in a padded vise with the extractor facing up, insert a flat bladed screwdriver under the extractor lip and using the other side of the bolt as a fulcrum push out and down with a right hand twist on the screwdriver all at the same time.
You may also want to use a little penatrating oil to help loosen any grim before prying. Make sure you push out on the extractor because this clears the little nib that locks it in the bolt.
Good luck.

03man
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 10:18:18 PM
Airdale is correct,
push out, then forward to release the extractor.
But there is really no reason to take it out,unless broken, then it is a problem to get it out.

Andy_P
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 10:45:58 PM
Great advice guys - thanks. I have a damaged one to replace and this is a big help.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see I had answered the same question in another earlier thread in this way:

Carcano
Posted - 05/28/2004 : 11:14:48 AM
Originally posted by airdale
A flat blade screwdriver inserted under the rim and opposite side of bolt used as a fulcrum will usually pry them out. I would use penetrating oil first though.
You may wish to use a padded vise for holding the bolt, and if not, you *need* leather gloves. If you don't use them, you'll be sorry...

One must first press the ejctor *outward* (centrifugally), and only then use the extraction leverage of the screwdriver blade. It has an internal nub which engages into the bolt body, and if you "just" pull, and don't disengage the retainer nub first, you'll sheer it off.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem /w carbine extractor claw (?)

SGT Ben
Posted - 05/14/2006 : 11:55:44 PM
I recently acquired an M91 carbine, and I'm having a slight problem with it. When trying to chamber a round, the cartridge does not want to easily take its proper place after being stripped out of the clip. (Kind of hard for me to explain, I'll try my best.) I think what is happening is that the cartridge is not aligning properly with the bolt face and is jamming against the lower lip of the chamber. With a good amount of force on the bolt, I can cause the cartridge to pop up into place and chamber.
After some trial and error, I think the problem is with the extractor claw. With the bolt removed from the rifle and sliding a cartridge into place on the bolt face by hand, a fair amount of effort is required pushing on the cartridge to get the extractor claw to open up enough for the cartridge to slide into place.
As a comparison, I swapped out the bolt of my M38 short rifle for that in the M91 carbine, and the rifle fed just fine. Manually feeding cartridges into the M38 bolt was quite easy, negligeable pressure being required to slip the cartridge past the extractor claw. Is there a way to loosen or disassemble the extractor claw so that it isn't so strong?
The only other thing I can think of would be if perhaps the follower isn't exerting enough upward pressure to force the extractor claw to make room for the cartridge?

If anyone could offer any suggestions or advice on how to fix the problem, or even if my assessment is close to the mark, I would appreciate it.

NebrHogger
Posted - 05/15/2006 : 12:01:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
One factor might be that someone single-fed cartridges by starting them in the chamber and forcing the extractor over the rim. Look closely at both bolts to see if the clearance between extractor hook and bolt face appears about the same.

If not, you could then either relieve the interior surface of the extractor hook or install a new one.

DMala
Posted - 05/15/2006 : 1:07:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are using Norma cases the problem is that they have an incorrect profile of the extractor groove. Use instead Hornadi/Prvi cases.

Another reason may be a weak follower spring.

A tight fit of the case rim under the extractor is not necessarily wrong, on a contrary a loose fit may cause extraction problems. If the follower spring is strong, a tight fit of the rim under the extractor should not be a problem.

You can try to file down a very very small amount of metal on the little spur on the bolt face opposite to the tip of the extractor, and open up the way, but before of touching the bolt I would try a magazine with a strong follower spring, and make sure where the problem is.

SGT Ben
Posted - 05/15/2006 : 6:55:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried the carbine bolt in my M38, but it had the same problem. Whether that follower is at full strength or not, I can't say, but it seems to load with no real problems for the most part with its original bolt.
Thanks for the replies.

Producer
Posted - 06/01/2006 : 12:39:19 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Same problem here with my Carcano. The follower spring is fine.
Is there a way to take the extractor out and clean it? I took the whole gun aprt and this was the only area I was afraid of. I can't find any directions on the web on taking the extractor apart.

WesinMI
Posted - 06/02/2006 : 2:59:17 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Take a small blade screwdriver and place blade under the lip of the extractor on the bolt face. Push it straight out (about 2mm to clear retaining lug) away from the bolt and at the same time pull straight forward against the lip and it should slip out of its slot without a problem. The "tail" of the extractor fits like a tongue and groove in a corresponding slot cut in the bolt. Sometimes they are tough to pull out, if so, don't use too much force. You may have to "loosen" its fit in the slot with a penetrating oil like Kroils.

Producer
Posted - 06/03/2006 : 9:15:51 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
WesinMI,

Thanks! Took a little time and patience, but it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts