Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WillK
Posted - 06/07/2004 : 11:04:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently found this article http://www.surplusrifle.com/sights/frontsight/index.asp
on building up the front sights on c&r firearms in such a way as not to damage the collector value of the piece. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a good way to raise the front sight enough to bring bullet impact closer to point of aim at 100 yards. Not sure how durable the method would be, but for range use, I bet it'd be ok.

NebrHogger
Posted - 06/07/2004 : 12:28:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having two preppy daughters around the house, I made off with their white nail polish for my Carcano sights. I made a small dot on the very tip of the front sight and two more near the bottom of the V on the rear. The effect is similar to the 3 dot set up on my Walther PP and gives me a more consistent sight picture. I tried it two days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised by the tight group I was able to fire. I'm going to do a little more testing to see if I've actually hit the sweet spot for this rifle and will post results. SW

WillK
Posted - 06/07/2004 : 1:46:48 PM
How did that do with regards to where the bullets were hitting the paper? I haven't shot my Carcano yet, but I've had other c&r firearms that hit considerably above point of aim. Most do ok @ 50 yards, but it's hard to keep them on an 8-1/2" x 11" target @ 100 yds. Also, I have been toying with the notion of hunting with the little carbine, and quick sight aquisition would be important (no belt buckles to aim for on a deer!).

NebrHogger
Posted - 06/07/2004 : 2:12:33 PM
With the front sight really buried in the notch, it was about 3" high at 50 yards. This was with the .268 bullet, H414 and a magnum large rifle primer. I shot a 1 1/2" group from a 91/24 TS with a 21" bbl. It also dinged the 1000 yd buffalo enough that I would have no qualms hunting with it. I would pick my shots carefully, though. While the long 6.5 bullet worked very well on elephant for WDM 'Karamojo' Bell, I think the best shot for me would be a deer facing dead away, and go for a neck shot. I have also read an article by Ross Seyfreid about making shallow longitudinal grooves about 1/3 of the way down the bullet to aid expansion. Something like a Dremel tool w/ cutoff discs would be needed. I'd have to do quite a bit of experimentation on wet newsprint before I tried it on game, though. I'm still working up accuracy loads for my Vetterli, and I'd probably take it deer hunting first. It's pretty easy to get permission to hunt around here if you promise to shoot only does. SW

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is JB weld? Is this a metal glue, or some kind of epoxy? How reversible would this process be?

Alexander

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
JB weld is a two part epoxy that works well if the surface is properly prepared. It's usually available at most auto parts stores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts